Saturday, October 5, 2019

October 4, 2019 Lunch – Chirashi at Azuma. Dinner – French Onion Soup

October 4, 2019 Lunch – Chirashi at Azuma. Dinner – French
Onion Soup

I ate my usual breakfast; granola, milk, yogurt, and blueberries.

I walked a mile and forgot t take a sugar pill and it made my muscles sore all day long.

At 12:30 after filing a motion in one of my appeals I tried to regain my strength by eating an entire Chirashi Donburi at Azuma.  I regained my stamina but my muscles were still sore.







I then drove to the NM Tax and Rev office at San Mateo and Central and showed them my assessment and payment of my CRS tax for August.  The lady said it appeared to be an error in the batching and they would investigate and get back to me.

I then drove to El Super and bought six chicken thighs for $.89/lb., five Smoked Pork chops for $3.49/lb., a papaya, limes, Roma tomatoes, and Gala apples for $.89/lb., a pineapple, Persian cucumbers for $.50/lb., red onions for $.33/lb., a cauliflower for $.79/lb., 2 ½ lb. of flour tortillas for $3.29, a bunch of parsley for $.33, a block of Monterrey jack cheese for $2.99/lb., and lemons for
$1.49/lb.

I returned home at 3:45.  Both Suzette and Loyda were at home.

Suzette made us a snack,  a black bean and cheese quesadilla with two of the flour tortillas and PPI black beans and some cheese melted inside the quesadilla.

I then started cooking at 5:30.  I decided t make French Onion Soup with the three PPI beef bones.  We covered bones with water and Suzette added two stalks of celery, one half onion, and two carrots diced and simmered those ingredients thirty minutes to make a beef broth.

 I sliced 4 ½ onions or about six cups of onion.  I then adjusted the recipe, which called for 4 ½ cups of onions and sautéed the onions covered in an enamel casserole at low heat in 4 T. of butter and two T. of olive oil instead of 3 T. of butter and 1 T. of oil.

While the onions were cooking I seeded, peeled and diced four chayote that I had bought last week at El Super for $.99 and cooked them in a sauce pan with the last of the beef broth and the mirepoix used to make the beef broth.

I also cooked the two artichokes that we had undercooked on Tuesday.

So a lot of cooking going on.

It was only about 60 degrees today so the first good soup day.

After about 25 minutes Suzette checked the pot and the onions were cooked and turning translucent.  We added the salt and sugar and 1 ½ T. of flour instead of 1 T. of flour and she stirred it and then she
added 2 quarts of the beef broth we had made and I added about another quart to reflect our adjustment of the recipe.

We then cooked the soup over low heat for another 30 minutes.

I fetched brown onion soup crocks, toasted four slices of Ciabatta bread, and sliced about ten slices of Jarlsberg cheese. I filled the crocks with soup and lay the toasted slices of bread on top of the soup and then lay the slices of cheese on top of the bread and placed the crocks on an aluminum cookie sheet and baked the crocks in a 350 degree oven for about ten minutes until the cheese was melted and toasted a light brown.






We opened and poured glasses of Barbera di Asti (Trader Joe’s $6.99) because it is a smooth red wine. It had little character, so we did not finish our glasses.

We got a call from Diane to go to Barb and Ernie’s to look at wrought iron outdoor tables, so as soon as we finished our soup we walked over.  There were several but none that was long enough for Willy’s patio. I did see a print by Gustavo Montoya that looked a lot like my Mexican muralist style painting of a little Indian girl by Emil Bisttram from 1933, that Bisttram painted while he was studying with Diego Rivera in Mexico.

Gustavo Montoya was a new and fascinating Mexican painter for me. Here is a link to a Wikipedia bio on him. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavo_Montoya

We came back home and Suzette went to bed at 8:00 and I followed at 9:00.

Bon Appetit








No comments:

Post a Comment