Tuesday, October 15, 2019

October 15, 2019 Lunch – PPI Brown Rice and Roasted Pork Tapa. Dinner – Sashimi, Sushi Rice, and Pickled Vegetables

October 15, 2019 Lunch – PPI Brown Rice and Roasted Pork Tapa. Dinner – Sashimi,  Sushi Rice, and Pickled Vegetables

Today was another lazy day. I toasted two slices of everything bagel, spread cream cheese on them and lay slices of red onion and bits of white fish.


 I worked until 11:30 and then heated about ½ cup of cooked brown rice and two pieces of roasted pork with, apples, and onions.

 Then I went for an 8 mile bike ride south.  At the end of the big field  Sandhill cranes were gleaning the field, having returned to take up residence for the winter.

When I returned I showered and dressed.  At 3:30 I drove to the bank and then Sprouts to buy a 3.3 lb. salmon filet and asparagus for tomorrow night’s dinner party.  I was a little sore from my bike ride, so decided to fix Sashimi for dinner.  I bought a tuna steak a small salmon filet and three scallops.  I also bought olive oil, which was on sale for $5.99/liter, a head of Romaine, an avocado, and an eggplant for $.98.

We needed pickled ginger slices, so I then drove to Talin.  They were remodeling the front, so there was no seaweed salad or squid salad because the coolers in the front were removed.

I bought a small container of pickled ginger, a Korean Daikon, and about 1 lb. of shallots.

When I returned home I checked the pickled vegetables and found the bowl full, so I only sliced two shallots to add to the pickles.  The Daikon will need to wait for some more space in the bowl.

I called Suzette and found out she was shopping and would return in 45 minutes.  I checked the Japanese Cookbook recipe for sushi rice and adjusted the recipe for 3 ½ cups of rice to 1 cup of rice and created a one step shortcut for the elaborate three step recipe.  I heated two cups of water and added Two T. of sugar, 2 T. of rice vinegar and 1 tsp. of salt to the sauce pan.  I then added 1 heaping tsp. of wakame seaweed threads and heated the water to a boil.  Suzette arrived and she poured the 1 cup of rice into the sauce pan, covered it with its lid and reduced the heat to its lowest setting.

While the rice simmered for thirty minutes I sliced three radishes and the scallops, the small salmon filet, and the tuna steak. I fetched a pitcher and filled it with sake and heated the pitcher in a sauce pan ½ filled with water.  I also fetched small tea cups that we use for sake and small bowls we use for the dipping sauce.  I filled the small bowls with soy sauce and wasabi.  I brewed green tea. We were ready to eat.  When the rice was ready Suzette filled small Japanese rice bowls with sushi rice and we ate the entire platter of raw seafood and sliced radishes.  Suzette wanted sliced avocado, so I peeled and sliced the avocado.  We enjoyed the slightly sweet the sake as ate and watched the Democratic debate and Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell.

At 9:00 Suzette went to bed.

I drank another cup of green tea and read and then blogged.

I am enjoying Japanese Cuisine more and more.  This meal exemplifies my ideal balance of 30% protein and 70% carbohydrates in my diet, plus fermented foods.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment