Monday, October 21, 2019

October 21, 2019 Lunch – PPI Roasted Pork with Apple’s and Onions and Couscous. Dinner – Sautéed Filet Mignon with red onion and mushrooms, Baked Potato and Waldorf Salad and Rustic Apple and Quince Tart

October 21, 2019 Lunch – PPI Roasted Pork with Apple’s and Onions and Couscous. Dinner – Sautéed Filet Mignon with red onion and mushrooms, Baked Potato and Waldorf Salad and Rustic Apple and Quince Tart

This was a lazy day.  I awakened at 8:30 and worked for a bit.  I ate tropical fruit salad with yogurt and granola at 10:30.

At 11:30 I showed the building to prospective tenants and returned home at 12:30 I decided to eat lunch at 1:00 and then ride because Sheffield Union was playing Arsenal.  The game became more interesting after Sheffield took a 1 to 0 lead.  I watched it until the end when amazingly Sheffield won. I heated the last of the PPI Roasted Pork, onion, and apple tapa and Couscous as I watched the match.


I took the last three filet Mignons out of the freezer and then rode my bike from 3:30 to 4:30 north to Montano and back.  I faced a blustery 10 to 15 mph head wind going north and breezed home coming back south with that tail wind behind me.

Suzette came home around 5:00.  We decided quickly to bake potatoes to eat with the filets and to make a salad since we did not have a green vegetable.  Suzette Baked the sweet potatoes we bought at El Super and six russet potatoes in the oven.

Rustic Tart

She also made a tart with sliced apples and quince baked in a party she made with flour shortening and sweet white Corrales Winery Muscat Canelli wine. She made the dough and refrigerated it and then just before we ate rolled it out on parchment paper and covered the inside with the fruit and folded the edges over the outer edge of fruit to create an edge.  Then Suzette covered the fruit with a glaze made by reducing the syrup she had used to poach the Quince yesterday and baked the tart at 375 degrees while we ate dinner.


                                     Folding the dough over the fruit filling to form an edge

The finished prepped tart

 
After the bake

Waldorf Salad

We made a salad with Romaine lettuce, a diced tomato and apple, a sliced Persian cucumber, red onion, and a cup of walnuts toasted and chopped.  Suzette made a dressing with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

She also fetched chives from the garden that I finely diced for our potatoes.

Suzette sautéed the steaks and I diced and added about 3 T. of Red onion and sliced and added the last six mushrooms.  After the red onions and mushrooms sautéed for a bit I added 3T. of amontillado sherry and cooked that down into a sauce and added 1 T. of butter to finish the dish.





We served ourselves.

I opened a bottle of 2014 Primus red Blend that I recently bought at Costco for $14.99 because it was rated 94 points. It was incredibly smooth and remained so during the entire meal. It was a nice complement to the tender steak although it clashed with the balsamic vinegar in the salad dressing.

Here are some tasting notes.  I only rated 89 points on several sites.

I ate a baked potato with butter, sour cream and chives.

Willy raved about the salad.  He especially liked the toasted walnuts.

It was a lovely meal, if not great.

The apple and Quince tart Suzette made was first rate.  I love the pastry dough because it tastes like pastry dough, but also tastes a bit like wine.  We ate slices of it with vanilla ice cream after dinner.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment