Friday, October 11, 2019

October 10, 2019 Lunch – Cosmos. Dinner – Roasted Pork Tapa and Catalan Spinach

October 10, 2019 Lunch – Cosmos. Dinner – Roasted Pork Tapa and Catalan Spinach

I was up four hours last night so I slept til 7:30, then made breakfast of granola, blueberries, milk, and yogurt and ate it at my desk as I worked.  I prepared and filed three pleadings to add a party that I had failed to include in my previous pleadings per the court’s instruction and called Peter Eller to see if he wanted to go to lunch.  He invited me to join him and Dottie for lunch at Cosmos at noon.  I sent part of the morning de-leafing the basil I picked two nights a

In then rode the short four mile loop around Tingley beach and to Marquez and showered and dressed and drove to Cosmos.

I ordered fish and chips with coleslaw, sweet potato fries, and fresh house made tartare sauce, which is not on the diet, but is a very delicious way to eat fish.  Peter ordered only a slice of apple pie, so I gave Peter ½ of one of the two pieces of battered and deep fried Alaskan cod and a few potatoes.

Dottie ordered a thick burger with sautéed mushrooms, onions and melted cheese that she ate open face.



Some of Peter’s apple pie 

                                                 Some of Dottie’s hamburger

The most amazing thing happened that will inspire me forever and was very heart warming.  I had met with Dottie to discuss a case she had.  It involved litigation and since I am not taking on new litigation for non-clients, I referred her to another lawyer who does real estate litigation, who referred her to Joe Werntz, who does real estate litigation for title companies.  She told me that Joe had initially cautioned that he could not take the case, but then changed his mind and called her back and agreed to take the case, after apparently calling me to find out about the case and what I thought about it.  She said she had talked to several attorneys and they all thought highly of me and the fact that I had talked to her for two hours and analyzed the theory of her case correctly and referenced a case on point, influenced Joe to take the case.  She was thrilled that Joe was representing her and told me I am held in the highest regard by the members of the bar.

That sent my ego through the roof and encouraged me.  We discussed how I merited such a reputation and the latest diplomatic blunder by Trump of green lighting the incursion of the Turks into Syria, which I am very upset about.  I probably upset them when I told Peter how I felt, but he had shown me a book titled the Conduct of War 1776 to 19?.. and I ended up saying that the actions of the US in the Syrian war will be another chapter in the next book because someone will have to explain how  we can fight with the Kurds to rid the world of the ISIS caliphate and then stand down our US troops and watch as our Kurdish brothers in arms are slaughtered by the Turks after a phone call between Erdogan and Trump.

The only logical answer I have is that the Russians green lighted the Turkish invasion of Syria to attack the Kurds and Erdogan conveyed that message to Trump and since Trump is beholden to Putin for some unholy reason and will do whatever is best for the Russians, he agreed to the plan.

It puts the entire Middle East into war and shatters the Nato Alliance, which the Russians must love.  The gain greater control in the Middle East and their greatest opponent, NATO, is weakened, as they strip the bulwark on Europe’s southEastern flank away from Europe.

After lunch I drove home and worked for a while and saw that the Market recovered from its slide of the last two days, but then became sleepy, so I lay down for a 1 ½ hour nap. I got up at 4:17 and wrote a check for the contractors for the building and and talked to a client about a problem that will cause me to meet with them in the morning and then I drove to the Friends meeting house to meditate.

I returned home around 6:30 after a long discussion with Dennis about Agnes Pelton and Nicholas Roerich’s role in the Transcendental art movement.

Suzette was feeling better today and she was willing to cook the roasted pork tenderloin tapa and Catalan Spinach tapa that we like so much.  I sliced an apple and the pear we had and an onion and she sautéed them in olive oil and butter and added slices of the pork and oregano and then roasted it in the oven.  While she was cooking the pork tacos I de-stemmed a colander full of spinach and diced an apple and fetched the roasted cashew pieces and made a cup of chicken stock her to use to sauce the dish and deglaze the skillet.  She added some cognac to the skillet at the end and flatbed it, also.

Suzette sautéed the meat with the vegetables to save time and it poached the meat and integrated the vegetable and fruit flavors into the meat, which was a pleasant variation of the recipe.

She then sautéed the spinach with butter, raisins, cashew pieces, and the diced apple into a lovely melange in a covered skillet to steam the spinach.


The flambé 


 






The fresh oregano from the garden 


I opened a bottle of 2015 La Gitana Gold Reserva Rioja I had bought at Costco yesterday for $11.99 that garnered  a 94 rating by Wine Enthusiast.


 Here is the review.
94
POINTS
La Gitana 2015 Gold Label (Rioja)
Editors' Choice

Smoky, toasty oak takes center stage on the nose of this fine Rioja. It's full and fruity on the palate yet has enough levity to allow the flavors to breathe. Strong barrel notes frame its salt, dried red fruit and cocoa flavors. Complex, ageworthy and high in quality, it will be best from 2020 to 2030.

I did not let the bottle breath and it was still tight when we drank it with the meal. I guess I need to buy some more bottles and put them down for a few years.

After dinner I ate some Swedish chocolate with hazelnut with a Calvados.

We watched an episode of Doc Martin at 8:00 on PBS and then went to bed.

 I awakened at 2:20 and wrote this blog.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment