Friday, January 8, 2021

January 8, 2021 Dinner – Steamed Clams, Pommes Frites, PPI Couscous, Garlic bread, and Salad

 January 8, 2021 Dinner – Steamed Clams, Pommes Frites, PPI Couscous, Garlic bread, and Salad

What an unusual day.  I ate a bowl of granola, yogurt, milk, and the last of Mom’s fruit salad at 10:00.

I decided to pay my final installment of 2020 taxes that is due on January 15.  I called Sharon and found out I needed to take an additional $23,000 to pay as much as I paid last year to avoid any penalty.  I will probably get some back but I will have no more tax liability including penalties for 2020.  It is a good feeling to know I have paid my entire tax liability for 2020.  So I wrote the checks and put them in the envelopes and ordered the additional distribution from my brokerage account.

I had not eaten lunch, which is a big mistake for me, so at 3:30 I toasted a slice of 9 grain bread and smeared peanut butter and Raspberry jelly on it. 

My intention was to go to Costco to pick up my prescription but I got delayed until 4:00 and when I went to the car Suzette drove into the garage. I asked her if she wanted to go with me to Costco and she agreed.

Suzette needed some items for the Center, so it worked for her also.

We went on a bit of a buying spree.  She bought detergent, washing machine Sheets, and boneless pork chops.  I selected eight bottles of wine, including three Pinot Grigios and a Ruby and a Malbec.  We also replenished several essentials, such as sugar, balsamic vinegar, eggs, and lettuce. We bought one or two frivolous items, such as Ling Ling dumplings on sale and Manchego cheese and brie cheese.

We saw freshly packaged clams so we bought a 5 lb. bag of them.  After we returned home and unloaded I was weak and sore so I popped a bag of popcorn and split it with Suzette as we watched the news.  The House is going to impeach Trump if he does it resign by Monday and there is the highest number of people hospitalized with Covid today.  What a mess Trump has made of it.

Suzette made a steaming medium of approximately equal parts white wine and water and adds a ¼ lb. of butter and eight cloves of garlic.  She also fried the roasted potatoes in olive oil and garlic to crisp them further.  I toasted  several pieces of bread in the olive oil after Suzette removed the fried potatoes. I heated a container of PPI Couscous to make sure I got enough carbs.  Suzette steamed the clams at the stove and as they opened she handed me bowl of clams and I would pull them out of their shells.  I de-stemmed the last dozen or so snow peas and chopped about ¼ cup of parsley that Suzette added to the steaming medium after the clams were cooked that she added to each bowl of clams as a garnish.  Suzette poured the remaining steaming medium into a 2 cup measuring cup that I enjoyed the most. Steamed clam juice is one of my favorite parts of eating clams. We  also made a salad with Romaine lettuce, red onion slices, cucumber slices dressed with a Caesar salad dressing.


As it turned out we could not eat the salads and bread, because the potatoes, Couscous and clams were so filling. 


Usually, the market pulls back after a big ruin up like yesterday’s but the market, after a drop recovered for a nice gain again today and my portfolio earned a reasonable .4% gain. I saw a presentation on Plug Power by Cramer, so I bought 200 shares.  It just made an alliance with Korea’s largest hydrogen fuel cell manufacturer, so it will be the largest pure play in hydrogen technology for enterprises.  I bought Crisper last week so I am trying to buy stocks that have cutting edge technology as a bet on the future.


I chilled one of the Pinot Grigio’s for dinner. Suzette thought the Pinot Grigio was weak, but as it sat in the glass it gained texture and character.  I liked it, especially for $4.99.


After dinner Suzette made an ice cream sandwich with vanilla ice cream sandwiches between two of the thin slightly bent Tuile looking chocolate Chip cookies I made yesterday.


We watched the news and another Christmas movie at 8:30 after Washington Week and Suzette went to bed and I blogged. 


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment