Sunday, January 3, 2021

January 2, 2021 Lunch – Posole and a Beef Empanada. Dinner – Grilled Rib Steak, Sautéed Mushrooms, a Beet and Goat Cheese Salad and Candied Sweet Potatoes

 January 2, 2021 Lunch – Posole and a Beef Empanada. Dinner – Grilled Rib Steak, Sautéed Mushrooms, a Beet and Goat Cheese Salad and Candied Sweet Potatoes  

Another restful day I watched soccer in the morning and caught up my blogging.  I worked on the Posole.  I removed bones and chili skins. I added salt more ground cumin, roasted red chili powder, another handful of fresh oregano from our garden, and more ground ground coriander.  Finally the Posole began to have the flavor profile I wanted and a bit of a chili bite.

At 12:00 Suzette re-heated Beef empanadas in the oven for 15 minutes.  When they were ready I ladled bowls of Posole and fetched two Negra Modelos from the garage and we had a lovely lunch.





After lunch I lay down for a nap while Suzette made ham salad, using some of the ham we baked this week, boiled eggs, celery, onion, yogurt, and mayo.

When I awakened at 2:00 I watched some of the Arsenal v. Sheffield United match and then we walked ½ mike in the neighborhood.

When we returned I drank a cup of tea with a slice of fruitcake and then lay down again until 4:30.  

We had thawed a 1 ½ inch thick rib steak that we cut from the 18 lb. slab of rib steaks we bought at Albertson’s before Christmas for $4.77/lb. 

We decided to grill the steak and heat the PPI Caramelized sweet potatoes and make a salad for dinner.

Suzette wanted a pickled beet and goat cheese salad, so I fetched the ingredients, red onion, a cucumber, 

the beets, the goat cheese, and a tomato. Suzette constructed the salad with red leaf lettuce and made a white balsamic dressing with goat cheese added in to quell the balsamic vinegar bite and to make the dressing creamier.

I also sliced six portobello mushrooms and a large shallot and three cloves of garlic and sautéed the shallot and mushrooms and added about 2 T. of Marsala and about ¼ tsp. of frozen thyme.

I opened a bottle of 2013 De Ponte Dundee Hills Pinot Noir, which was a lovely bottle of wine.








The meal was great and not heavy, at all.  We had some steak leftover so will add it to the garlic eggplant dish on January 4.


Bon AppetitQ



No comments:

Post a Comment