Monday, July 20, 2020

July 20, 2020 Lunch – Mapo Dofu Noodles Dinner – Sautéed Rib Steak and Shishito peppers, Home Fried Potatoes, and Steamed Broccoli with Cream Sauce

July 20, 2020 Lunch – Mapo Dofu Noodles   Dinner – Sautéed Rib Steak and Shishito peppers, Home Fried Potatoes, and Steamed Broccoli with Cream Sauce

I woke up at 4:40 and watched the news until 6:00 when Suzette awakened and said, “I am ready tho see the beaver.”  We dressed and drove to Kit Carson Park.we walked to the pond that was filled to the highest level I have ever seen due to the recent rains.  There was a family sitting on the beaver’s lodge fishing when we arrived, so we immediately knew we were not going to see any beaver.  As we looked across the pond we began seeing Mexican ducks swimming in rapid circles stirring up the aquatic vegetation and feeding leisurely. We counted 10 ducks.  So it was a lovely morning of ducks feeding on the pond.  We came home and I ate breakfast of granola, tropical fruit salad and yogurt that had curdled and turned to cottage cheese.

I watched the TV until Suzette left for work at 8:15 and then took a shower and dressed.

I worked until 11:45 and then decided to stretch the Mapo Dofu with Noodles a little farther by adding another bundle of boiled egg white noodles.  I filled a sauce pan half full with water and boiled a bundle of noodles.  These noodles have become my favorites because they are fresh, like fresh pasta, and last indefinitely.  I stir fried about 2 oz. of yellow squash cubes, onion, four mushrooms, and several slices of ginger and a clove of garlic and then added the PPI Mapo Dofu and a bottle of seasoning sauce left from an earlier version of garlic eggplant.  After that had warmed, I drained and added the boiled noodles and heated the whole affair.  Here is a picture.


I ladled out a bowl full and the ate a second bowlful to finish the dish that reminded me of a ramen dish, except the seasoning sauce was a seasoning sauce rather than an edible broth.

I loved it.

I took a rib steak out of the freezer to thaw and I drank a glass of iced coffee made with PPI coffee and the Vietnamese Parrot brand condensed milk in a galas filled with ice while I watched the PL match between Wolverton and Crystal Palace .

At 2:00 at half time I checked my stocks and found that I had a slight .25% gain for the day in spite of Moderna dropping $13.00 to take my portfolio to a new all time high.  Bravo.

I lay down at 3:00 for a nap until 5:00 when Aaron and Andrea and Lexi came to sign Andrea’s affidavit.

After they left around 5:45 I joined Suzette to watch the news and plan dinner.  Suzette recommended cottage fried potatoes and I recommended steamed broccoli with cheese sauce.  Suzette reminded me the reason for choosing steak was to sauté Shishito peppers I had bought at Talin.

We used four burners.  Suzette sautéed the sliced previously baked potatoes with 2 oz. of diced onion in butter and olive oil on one.  I sliced the steak and she sautéed the steak slices on another skillet with about a dozen Shishito peppers. On another burner Suzette steamed the broccoli florets and on the fourth burner I heated the cheese sauce with extra butter and milk.

In about fifteen minutes we had prepared dinner.  I had chilled a bottle of 2017 Gruet Cuvée Gilbert  Pinot Noir.  Suzette plated the steak slices garnished with sautéed Shishito peppers, cottage fried potato slices, and broccoli garnished with cheese sauce.  Suzette opened the bottle of Gruet Pinot Noir and we had a wonderfully pleasant dinner.  The Gruet was slightly musty even with a few Uber’s of ice to help it keep its chill, but you could taste the New Mexico terroir in it.  Suzette said, “ You know it goes really well with the Shishito peppers.”





And it did.  We drank the whole bottle.  This was an exceedingly delicious meal for me and I had to finish it with a glass of cognac and chocolate truffles and a cup of chai.

Suzette, who is on a diet settled on a sip of the new and wonderful Courtet VS cognac (Total Wine $21.99 less 10%). Our new house cognac.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment