Thursday, July 2, 2020

July 1, 2020 Lunch – Steak Pho Dinner – Greenhouse Bistro Pickled Beet and Egg Salad and Picnic Box


July 1, 2020 Lunch – Steak Pho  Dinner – Greenhouse Bistro Pickled Beet and Egg Salad and Picnic Box

I ate granola, yogurt, milk, and tropical fruit for breakfast and worked on the brief.

After I sent it to Scott at 9:30 I rode 8 miles south to the end of the big field and back powered by two sugar pills.

When I returned I worked a bit and ordered groceries for pick up from Smith’s.  I ordered the weekly specials, rib steaks for $5.99/lb., fresh Atlantic salmon for $6.99/lb., vine cluster tomatoes for $.88/lb., ice cream for $1.99, plus parsley.

By then it was lunch. I talked to Willy and he had a 1:00 meeting so no lunch date.  We decided to do dinner when the salmon was available.

We had a bag of PPI grilled rib steak from Monday’s dinner, so I decided to make Pho.  I gathered up some PPIs, 1/3 of a yellow onion, a zucchini, three cloves of garlic, three mushrooms, a Pho seasoning cube, and the bone section from the steak, which had about three oz. of meat attached to it and sliced all those ingredients and placed them in a 2 quart sauce pan and covered them with 1 ½ quarts of water and began boiling them for about twenty to 30 minutes.  I then went to the garden and picked four basil leaves and about ten Chard leaves.  I de-stemmed the Chard leaves and cut them into bite-sized sections and added them with a bundle of fresh egg white noodles and a T. of red miso to the soup.  After about ten more minutes the broth tasted right, which meant it had lost any flavor of water.  This was remarkable in two respects because I had intended to add dehydrated beef stock but forgot it and the bone and beef had created a fresh and better natural broth.


I fetched the bag of cilantro and cut a lime in half and ate two bowls of Pho with added lime juice and cilantro.

From 1:30 to 3:00 I worked on the brief and then sent it to Carolyn for final insertion of the List of Authorities and Table of Contents.

I relaxed a bit finally and checked the market and found out it was a flat day with a small loss but still the third highest finish ever.

I rested until Suzette arrived about 5:15.  She brought the pickled Beet and Egg Salad made with
fresh beets from the Center’s garden and the new item, a snack box filled with focaccia bread sticks, slices of cheese and salami, olives and pickled sweet and pepperocini peppers, and grapes.



So there was no further discussion of dinner.  I had eaten a couple of slices of French baguette smeared with goat cheese and garnished with Gravad Lax slices, so I was not terribly hungry.

I opened a wedge of Manchego cheese and made cheese sandwiches by toasting slices of focaccia and adding slices of Manchego.

I had chilled a bottle of Drouhin Beaujolais Village when Suzette arrived that I opened it and poured glasses of it and added a few cubes of ice to keep it chilled.

We nibbled and sipped as we watched one of our new favorites TV shows, “Spy Animals” that investigates animal behavior using cameras hidden in fake animals, stumps, rocks, etc.  I don’t know which is more fascinating, the artistry creating the hiding place for the cameras or the animal natural behavior captured on film.

I was called by Smith’s telling me my order would not be available until tomorrow morning. We watched a bit of news afterwards and to make room in freezer we ate the rest of the vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup and several of Suzette’s delicious maraschino Rainier cherries.

I added Kahlua and rum to mine for an over kill sundae.

Bon Appetit













No comments:

Post a Comment