Tuesday, February 4, 2020

February 4, 2020 Lunch – Taj Mahal. Dinner – Texas Chili and a Tamale

February 4, 2020 Lunch – Taj Mahal. Dinner – Texas Chili and a Tamale

Food has an effect on our body.  Today was living proof in three respects.

First, I went to lunch with a Willy at a Taj Mahal.  It is a favorite restaurant of both Luke and Willy.  Its style of fresh delicately spiced Indian food is very appealing to all of us.  I find the food very invigorating even though I have begun eating less.  Today I took ½ scoop of rice, one piece of tandoori chicken, 1 ½ scoops of Chicken Tikki Marsala, two scoops of saag, and ½ piece of kulcha naan.  I did drink 3 ½ cups of chai and a small bowl of riata, and a bowl of rice pudding.

When I returned at 2:00 I was burping as I digested the food, but at 5:00 I walked 2/3 mile at pace without and sugar pill, feeling fit and without pain.  This convinced me that healthy food will help one’s maintenance of active health.

The second indicia that food matters was dinner.  When Suzette came home she wanted a bowl of Texas Chili and a Tamale for dinner.  We invited Mike and Willy to join us.  Mike came around 6:45 as we were heating the chili and tamales.  I fetched Negra Modelo from the fridge, minced some fresh onion and fetched and opened the bag of chopped lettuce Suzette had prepared last night.  When everything was hot Suzette served us a bowl of chili with a Tamale laid in the bowl.  We each garnished our bowls with lettuce, sour cream,  and onion and washed down the dinner with a beer.  After dinner Suzette and I split another beer. Even though we washed down dinner with a beer I am still bloated from the heaviness of the dinner at 11:30. Although after dinner Mike and I each ate a slice of chocolate mousse cake with a cup of Lichee tea. Made with tea I bought in the Muslim Bazaar in Xian, China ten years ago.



The third indicia that food matters is that I ate three meals today.  For breakfast I ate a handful of granola with a small handful of blueberries, two T. of whole milk yogurt and 2 T. of milk. I seems that when I eat only two meals a day, I feel like I am losing weight and when I eat three, I feel like I am gaining weight.  These are very subjective and unscientific observations, but ones that seem true to me.

The other observation I wish to make is that as I grow older and have more financial stability, I feel more inclined to pay more for good quality food.  For example, I no longer object to paying $12.50 for Taj Mahal’s buffet because I feel good when I eat the food, I see how much my sons love the food and am aware that they are extremely discerning when it comes to the quality of food, and Luke has convinced me that the buffet at Taj Mahal is a reasonable price because he claims it is as good as any Indian food he has tasted in New York City.

The best food event of the day was entirely unexpected.  At 10:00 I had to go to the candy store to open the door for the plumbers, who were working to repair the heating system. After they went upon the roof I walked up to the apartment that Willy is moving into and shared a cup of lemon ginger tea with him.  I think I was his first guest in his new apartment and I enjoyed it immensely.

Willy became ill today and had a fever when he came over this evening around 7:30, so he left soon after he ate a bowl of chili and took two Tylenol at the suggestion of a Suzette.

So today was one of those rare days when we did not cook anything, but enjoyed the food we did eat.

I also appreciate that I no longer deny myself a slightly more expensive and much healthier lunch than a $1.50 Costco hot dog and sugary beverage.

Bon Appetit







No comments:

Post a Comment