Wednesday, February 12, 2020

February 11, 2020 Lunch – Jimmy John’s Sandwich. Dinner – PPI Scallops and Salmon Provençal with roasted spaghetti Squash, Steamed String beans, and Tomatoes Provencal

February 11, 2020 Lunch – Jimmy John’s Sandwich.  Dinner – PPI Scallops and Salmon Provençal with roasted spaghetti Squash, Steamed String beans, and Tomatoes Provencal

Another busy day in the world of legal services.  I was called at 9:00 by a client with a legal problem.  I met with them at 10:00 and we worked on the problem until noon.  He then invited me to join him for lunch and since we were waiting for a call, he ordered us sandwiches from Jimmy John’s delivery service.  Within twenty minutes our sandwiches arrived.  We both ordered turkey breast, lettuce, tomato, guacamole and mayonnaise sandwiches.  You order from a menu on the Internet. I requested Alfalfa sprouts, but Felipe informed me that the menu indicated that alfalfa sprouts were added, if available.  Apparently today they were not available.  The sandwich was made in a 10 inch piece of baguette sliced in half.  The sandwich came with a small bag of potato chips and a chocolate chip cookie.  I enjoyed my sandwich and chips and pocketed the cookie for later consumption.


I returned home a bit after 1:00 and worked until 5:00 when I walked ½ mile and then checked the Market.  The Dow was down a fraction and my portfolio reduced in value by one Thousand dollars, but it is still up 20% for the year.

Willy was coming over to spend the night and eat dinner, so we waited until 7:00 to cook.  I snapped the last pound of green beans and we steamed them and heated the leftover scallops and Salmon Provençal with Cauliflower and Broccoli Couscous with some of the leftover Spaghetti squash for me and Suzette filled a plate with a piece of leftover BBQ chicken and some spaghetti squash and heated it with my plate in the microwave.  We then added some green beans and opened a bottle of Cotes du Provence rose I had chilled for a glass for Suzette.  I drank the last of the Touch white from Cotes du Gascogne and then a small glass of the French rose. Both bottles had been bought at a Trader Joe’s, the bottle of Touch for $5.99 and the bottle of Cotes du Provence for $9.99.

At 7:00 we watched some of Finding Your Roots on PBS.  This episode was fascinating because of its insights into American history.  Questlove’s folks were on the last slave ship to come to America in 1860 from Dahomey, as the result of a bet by the ship’s captain that he could run the blockade against importation of slaves. Questlove’s predecessors were shown on the national census of 1870 for Mobile, Alabama, where the ship landed, as being born in Africa, which was the clue that led to the discovery that they were on the ship that arrived in 1860.

 The actress Eva Morrison’s?? folks were among the 272 slaves sold by Georgetown University in 1838 to plantations in Louisiana to whom Georgetown University is now paying reparations. One of the small facts of history that I did not know was that Georgetown University was and is a Catholic
University and the sale of the 272 slaves took five years to complete because the University had to
obtain the permission of The Pope in Rome for the sale.  That may be one of the reasons why Georgetown is paying reparations, such as free education for the descendants of the original 272 slaves.  Eva even said at one point, “I may take some courses.”

We had made a plate for Willy with spaghetti squash and green beans. When Willy arrived around 8:00 he added a piece of BBQ chicken and heated the plate and I poured him a glass of rosé and we all watched the results of the first democratic primary roll in.  Two things became evident.  Bernie and Buttigieg are the two strongest candidates so far in the democratic race and Trump is turning out fewer voters than he did last election.

Willy, a committed Bernie supporter, was thrilled.

We had two ripe bananas so Suzette decided to make Bananas Foster. She sliced the bananas and sautéed them in butter and brown sugar and when they had softened she added about 1/4 cup of cognac.  She then little pan to flambé the dish.  Here is a picture.






I went to the garage and fetched the 1/2 gallon of chocolate ice cream to supplement the last of vanilla ice cream and she put a scoop of each of three bowls and then scooped 1/3 of the flatbed cooked bananas into each bowl.  What a wonderful way to eat your fruit.

 We congratulated him for the win and went to bed at around 9:00 after my drinking a sip of Calvados
and eating three chocolates of the World and Suzette a sip of cognac.

I awakened at 2:15 and finished this blog and drank two glasses of water and made Tzatziki and
went back to bed, excited with anticipation for the start of my first trip to Maui in the morning.

I decided at 3:30 a.m. to make sandwiches for the trip.  When I checked the fridge I saw all the ingredients for Tzatziki, so I made a Tzatziki salad with onion, cucumber, tomato, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and salt.  I made one sliced roasted lamb sandwich and one BBQ chicken sandwich.

Here is a picture of the Tzatziki after I chopped the tomato, onion, and cucumber and added a bit of dried tarragon and garlic from our garden and before adding the yogurt.



I guess being served the bland Jimmie John’s turkey breast, lettuce, guacamole and mayo sandwich for lunch inspired me to take our travel food to the next level.

Also, today I had a lovely conversation with the Owner of Gerard’s Restaurant in Lahaina who reviewed the Prix Fixe menu for Valentine’s Day and made a reservation for what sounds like a lovely French meal on the 14th. So look forward to my review of the best French Restaurant in Maui then.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment