Saturday, February 29, 2020

February 29, 2020. Brunch – A Costco Hot dog. Snacks – Cream of Asparagus and mushroom soup and tabouli. Dinner – PPI Chicken Curry with rice and Riata

February 29, 2020. Brunch – A Costco Hot dog. Snacks – Cream of Asparagus and mushroom soup and tabouli. Dinner – PPI Chicken Curry with rice and Riata

Today we mainly shopped and cooked and went the symphony.

I awakened at 7:00 and blogged until almost 10:00 when we dressed and drove to Costco.  We were hungry so we first ate a hot dog and then shopped.

Suzette had the replenish cleaning supplies for the Center which means we filled two shopping carts.  Besides the cleaning supplies we bought olive oil, half and half and heavy cream with the intension of making a Cream of asparagus and mushroom soup.

Suzette also stopped at Southwest Distributors for a few food item for the Center.  When we returned home at 1:15 I watched the last few minutes of the startling defeat of Liverpool by Bournemouth.  Suzette decided to re-work the PPI Mashed Potatoes and celeriac from last Sunday’s meal into a soup base by adding chicken stock and milk.  I diced a pound bunch of asparagus and about seven or eight portobello mushrooms.  Suzette added a lb. of sliced white mushrooms to the diced asparagus and mushrooms I sliced and cooked those ingredients in the soup base she had made from the PPI mashed potatoes and celeriac and then creamed it with the emulsion mixer.  We added salt, pepper, nutmeg, and thyme to season the soup.


After we ate small bowls of the delicious soup I started making tabouli.

Suzette had brought home a bag of No. 1 Bulgar wheat.  I soaked about 1 ½ cups of it in water for about an hour.  I swelled up to four or five times its original volume and softened.

I drained the Bulgar and added two bunches of finely minced parsley and three bunches of green onion thinly sliced, 1 cup of olive oil, two tomatoes diced, and about 2/3 cup of diced cucumber, and the juice of four lemons, plus salt and pepper.  It made a large bowl of tabouli.  I ate some to try it as I seasoned it.

The Bulgar after soaking

L

At 4:15 we showered and dressed for the symphony.  We drove to Popejoy at UNM at 5:30 for the 6:00 curtain of the ballet of Alice in Wonderland accompanied by the symphony playing Prokiev and Shoshtakovich.  The audience was completely different from the usually older crowd. There was probably a majority of young people and families.  Not only was the audience enthusiastic and energized, so were the performers.  The sets were projected onto the big screen and the back of the stage and the approximately 60 dancers danced in front. I have not seen a ballet for approximately twenty years, but I was impressed by the skill and dexterity of the dancers.  It was great fun with lots
of applause after almost every one of the ten scenes in the two act ballet.

I dozed during the first Act, so at intermission I bought an oatmeal cookie and a sea salt and caramel chocolate blondie bar that I shared with Suzette, which woke me up for the second act.

We arrived home at 8:00.  Suzette wanted to finish the chicken curry.  She heated the curry and fetched the last of the riata and we made a cup of white rice. I fetched the Major Grey’s mango chutney and we ate our final bowl of the curry.  I drank chai and Suzette drank a gin and tonic with dinner.



We were both tired.  Suzette went to bed immediately after dinner and I stayed up to blog until 11:00.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment