Friday, February 21, 2020

February 21, 2020 Lunch – Vietnam 2000 Dinner – Hamburger Steak with red bell peppers, onion, and blue cheese on Cauliflower and Broccoli Couscous

E

I though it a good food day.  Suzette has become aware of the need to eat a more healthy diet and is creating simple nutritious meals with less cholesterol and carbs.

I went to have an unltrasound this morning at 8:00 and then went to Smith’s to shop at 9:00.  I needed to buy the groceries for our dinner on Sunday of Boeuf Bourguignon, Mashed Potatoes, and a Vegetable.  Everything I needed for the meal except the bacon and small onions was on sale at Smith’s.  It was like God had sent all the ingredients like manna from heaven to Moses and the wandering Israelites.

There is a meat specials cooler impact the front of the store where you walk in that had a sale on chuck roast for $3.49/lb. so I bought 4.3 lb. as I walked back to the produce section I first saw bell peppers were on sale at $.88 each, then I saw fresh asparagus for $1.99/.lib., so I bought 3 lb. as the vegetable.  I called Suzette and asked her what we needed and she said, “Please buy golden potatoes.”

 I wandered back to the discounted produce rack and found bags of Yukon Gold potatoes for $.99 for approximately 2 1/2  lb., far less than the $.99/lb. normal price.  I bought four bags.  I noticed bags of two and three bell peppers also for $.99 and bought three bags of bell peppers plus the occasional zucchini and return the three bell peppers I had previously taken. I also bought a bag of yellow squash for $.99.

Blueberries were on sale, so I bought 18 oz. for $2.99 and a hothouse English cucumber for $88.   Then I went to the mushroom section because mushrooms and onions are two of the main ingredients and amazingly, mushrooms were on sale. Mi bought three 1 lb. boxes of portobellos for $2.29/ box and 11 lb. box of sliced white mushrooms for $1.99.  I could not believe my luck.  I also a beautiful bunch of leeks for $1.99 and planned to make potato soup on Monday.  I went to the meat counter, but none of the bacon was attractively priced, but fresh chicken thighs were on sale for $.99/lb. so I bought a package of seven.  I also bought a 32 oz. container of Kroger yogurt for $1.99.

By the time I checked out at around 10:00 I was ravenously hungry , so I drove home and ate a bowl of granola and tropical fruit salad, with two scoops of fresh yogurt.

I called Willy to see if he wanted to go to lunch.  He said yes and came by to pick me up at noon and drove us to Vietnam 2000, our favorite Vietnamese restaurant because we love their pork fried egg rolls.  Willy ordered his usual, No. 21, which is a large bowl filled with chopped lettuce, bean sprouts, and basil and cilantro on the bottom, then a layer of boiled vermicelli rice noodles, and finally the top is covered with grilled marinated pork and fried pork egg rolls and served with sweetened fish sauce.

I ordered number 48, which is a plate with sautéed cucumber and bean sprouts and basil and cilantro on the bottom, then that is covered with a layer of broad 40 mm. wide sheets of rice noodles and finally on top are two fried egg rolls and a pile of warmed pieces of shrimp paste served with the same sweetened fish sauce.  I love this dish because it has warm vegetables, large rice sheets that I find unusual, and my favorite, fried egg rolls.  The potion noodles is smaller and the portion of vegetables is larger than No. 21, so I can finish it without over eating.

The salt in the fish sauce collapses the noodles, so they are not very firm if taken home and eaten later.

After lunch Willy drove me home.  I worked for a few minutes and checked the market and had my worse losing day of the year, 1 ½%.

At 2:30 I walked 1 mile and felt good all the way.  I did eat a chocolate at the beginning of the walk and at the midpoint instead of a sugar pill and did not lose stamina.  I guess the exercise we took in Hawaii had a positive effect.

When I returned home at 3:00 I lay down and napped from 3:30 to 5:00.

Suzette came home shortly after I awakened and was brewing a cup of tea.  She poured a scotch and we talked until 5:30 about our day.  Suzette’s big news was that she has closed the restaurant except for special events and spa members at lunch as of today.  We agreed it was for the best.

I described the groceries and Suzette decided to make hamburger steaks for dinner, which was a welcome change from all the fish we had eaten on the trip.  I sliced ½ red bell pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, and ½ onion and she sautéed those with the hamburgers.  She also sautéed the rest of the broccoli and cauliflower Couscous she prepped last night and lay slices of blue cheese on the hamburgers after she flipped them.

When everything was cooked Suzette made a stack with Couscous on the bottom, then the hamburger and finally the sautéed strips of onion and bell pepper.  It was a simple, filling, healthy dinner by my standard.



I opened a bottle of 2016 Chateau Rodier from Montaigne-St. Emillon ($12.99 at Trader Joe’s), my favorite medium priced wine for steak.

It is smooth with an elegant finish.

We watched Rachel go on a tirade about how Trump is tearing our democracy and the proper functioning of government to pieces.

The answer several commentators had was to expose and shame the President for his horrible actions against the proper functioning of government.

I hope that works.

Let’s hope he is not re-elected.

Suzette was tired after a hard day at work, so we went to bed at 8:30.

I blogged this blog and then read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek a while, with a few sips of Calvados to settle my stomach.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment