Saturday, February 29, 2020

February 28, 2020 Lunch – Salad and Pizza with Titan. Dinner – Greenhouse Bistro’s Last Supper, German Mama’s in the Kitchen Special Dinner

February 28, 2020 Lunch – Salad and Pizza with Titan. Dinner – Greenhouse Bistro’s Last Supper, German Mama’s in the Kitchen Special Dinner

Another morning of no breakfast.  I sold the Zoom shares I bought Tuesday at a slight loss because the stock slumped after a good gain on Wednesday and Thursday.  As long as the US government has its head in the sand and the coronavirus is spreading worldwide, I am more inclined to sell shares and hold cash to protect my now 10% gain in the last two years that was a 20% gain a week ago. I fear the world economy and the US economy have not seen the worst of this epidemic yet,  although secretly I hope I am wrong.

At 11:30  I drove to Central Trailer Supply for the Titian board meeting.  Susie made a fresh organic salad with carrots, tomatoes, and organic lettuces and spinach blend and picked up an everything pizza at Costco at my suggestion.  I have been the secretary and corporate counsel for Titan for over 20 years.

After lunch I drove home and checked the market and lay down for a nap.  I must have been tired because I slept until almost 5:00.

When I awakened I rolled out of bed and took a short 1/3 mile walk and then made the 40 minute drive to Suzette’s Center for Ageless Living where the Greenhouse Bistro is located.  When I arrived just a few minutes before 6:00 most of the seats at the two long tables were filled.   For this meal Suzette wanted the seating to be family style.

I sat by Lynn, the director of marketing, two ladies and across from a couple who had come to the recent Puerto Rican, Mom’s in the Kitchen meal.  These special meals have garnered a following.  Although the Bistro will close for dinner after this meal, it will stay open for lunch for members of the Garden Gate Day Spa, located across the parking lot.  The wife of the couple sitting across is a Spa member, so she will be able to have lunches and an alcoholic beverage in the Bistro in the future. My hope is that a chef wanting to open a restaurant will appear in the near future.


The German meal was fantastic, just like the recent Puerto Rican meal.  What made the meal incredible was the price, $20.00 for a fully genuine German three course dinner.  The first course was, a large platter of German salamis, cheeses, liverwurst, and Bavarian sweet mustard served with

slices of toasted German white and dark rye and pretzels.


Suzette had bought many of the items at Eurozone Food Distributor, the Eurocentric food store
located at 3700 Osuna NE,   New Mexico's only source for European food that has food from Russia,
Romania, Hungary, Poland, Spain, Germany, and some Italian.  Here is its website: https://www.google.com/search?q=eurozone+abq+nm&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#

I grazed the two types of salami, the butter cheese and Munster cheese chunks, and liverwurst, making sandwiches of buttered rye bread, salami and sweet mustard.  Everyone ordered beverages.  I took a glass of lemonade from the containers on a table at the end of the Bistro offering water, lemonade, or iced tea.  Then I ordered a Negra Modelo beer and finally settled on a glass of Joseph
Handler Riesling white wine (Trader Joe’s $4.99) for the meal.

After the appetizer platter and plates were cleared, plates of the entrée were served with a bowl of cucumber salad that was delicious, thinly sliced cucumbers and red onion dressed in a sour cream and dill weed dressing, sort of a German style Riata.








The entrée combined three dishes, sauerbraten, a potato dumpling sauced with a thick sauce made principally with meat drippings and ginger snap cookies, and red cabbage.  I had a déjà vu experience of sitting at a table in the Berghoff Restaurant on Adams St. In downtown Chicago, where I first encountered sauerbraten. When I mentioned my first sauerbraten experience, Lynn and one of the two ladies sitting beside me told me they were from Chicago.

What makes sauerbraten unique is that it is a beef roast that is marinated in red wine, red wine
vinegar, and pickling herbs and vegetables for three to five days before it is slowly cooked.  The
sauce is equally unique, the cooking pan liquids thickened with cornstarch or flour and flavored with crushed ginger snaps.   Here is the recipe:




The potato dumplings were equally unique.  I loved their sticky texture.  Here is the dumpling recipe:



Perhaps my favorite part of the entrée course was the creamy cucumber salad. We will definitely make this salad this summer with fresh dill from our garden. Here is the salad recipe:

Although excellent, the red cabbage was not as unique, because Suzette makes German cabbage quite often.  Here is Mama’s recipe:





In the lull after we finished our entrée I went to the kitchen to take a picture of the Black Forest with Cherries Cake and Bea Jellison, the German mama, who was our chef for the meal told me her career had been in baking, so I was thrilled at the prospect of tasting her cake.  I was not disappointed.  I don’t recall eating a real German black forest cake as delicious as this before.  The cake was heavenly light, the cherries in syrup were neither too hard or too mushy.  I don’t think I have ever tasted a lighter and more flavorful German cake.

This was a great meal; a justly memorable ending for the Greenhouse Bistro.

Bon Appetit









No comments:

Post a Comment