Saturday, February 22, 2020

February 22, 2020 Lunch – Pho miso Noodles with Ground Beef, Napa cabbage and Mexican Squash. Dinner – Poached Pink Grouper Veracruz

Today was another fabulous day of food shopping.  I am out of red Miso, so at 9:45 I drove to Talin.  I immediately got diverted by all the amazing foods.  I walked back to the fish department and was immediately drawn to a whole fresh pink grouper. Pink grouper is our favorite fish to eat in Sayulita.  At $9.98/lb. it was not cheap, but it is Suzette’s favorite fish because it has large white loose flakes of meat that flake at the touch of a fork.  Actually compared to the Antarctic Toothfish we had eaten in Maui for $61.00 it was a bargain.

I also bought a magnum bottle of sake and then went to the Freezer and bought a package each of fish, Pork, and beef balls.  Then to the Chinese section where I bought cans of sliced chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and baby corn on the cob.  Next I went to the Vietnamese section where I found my favorite noodle 50 mm. wide rice noodle slices and a brown rice vermicelli.  There was a new shipment of boxes of soup flavoring cubes, so I bought 2 pho  and 2 duck stew.  I then went to the produce section and bought a lb. of bean sprouts, a lb. of fresh shallots, and a package of fresh snow peas.  My idea was to make fried tofu and mixed vegetables like I eat at a East Ocean.

When I loaded everything into the car I realized I forgot to buy the red miso, so I went back and bought a bag of it and a package of Swedish hard bread and a package of slices of German rye bread.

I am ready for lots of different types of snacks and dishes.

I drove home and found Willy watching the Leister City  v. Manchester City PL match.  This was number two versus number three playing each other, so a very important match.  Unfortunately Man City won.

After the match Wily left to arrange Comcast service for his new apartment and I decided to make a pot of pho Miso noodle soup.  I filled a 2 quart pot ¾ full of water and added Kombu seaweed strips, 1 heaping tsp. of dehydrated beef bouillon, a diced Mexican squash and a finely minced shallot, a heaping T. of red Miso, 5 oz. of ground beef, a dash of sesame oil, a T. of Chinese cooking wine, about ten snow peas,  five Napa cabbage leaves sliced into bite sized pieces, and three types of noodles ( bean thread, the large chunks of rice noodle, and an egg noodle). After about twenty minutes the soup was ready, just as Suzette walked in from shopping.  She had bought the missing ingredient for tomorrow night’s boeuf bourguignon, the pearl onions.

After lunch Suzette lay down for a nap and I walked 1 1/3 mile without difficulty.

When I returned Suzette was talking to my Cousin Marty Meltzer, so talked to him for a while.  He and his new wife may come visit us.  How exciting.  This morning I also talked to Billy, who is going as a medical volunteer to Ciudad Chihuahua.  He was not sure whether to exchange money here or there.  I sent him 900 pesos, which is approximately $50.00, so he would have pesos when he arrives.

When Suzette awakened st 6:00 we discussed dinner and decided to poach the grouper with a medley of vegetables; a yellow crookneck squash, ½ of a red bell pepper, ¼ of a pasilla chili pepper, ½ onion, 3 cloves of garlic finely minced, and diced 1 whole tomato.

After I chopped the vegetables and de-boned and removed the skin from the grouper, Suzette sautéed the onion, garlic, and peppers in butter and olive oil in a skillet. She then added the squash, some snow peas, and tomato and after the vegetables were cooked and soft, she added some white wine and water and added the fish, covered the skillet, and poached the fish.
After the fish was cooked Suzette increased the heat slightly to reduce the poaching medium into a medium sauce and we were ready to eat. I poured out the ½ bottle of 2018 Tuatea New Zealand White Sauvignon Blanc and Suzette lay the fish on top of the sautéed vegetables that she piled in the middle of a pasta bowl. We both enjoyed the meal.







I did eat some chocolate ice cream and chocolate torte Suzette brought home from the Bistro with a splash of cognac.

I boiled the nine chicken thighs I had bought on Friday at Smith’s and put it in the garage for the chicken curry we will make Monday evening.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment