Friday, November 30, 2018

November 29, 2018 Lunch – Canyon Club Dinner – Turkey Soup with Ribbles and Turkey Salad

November 29, 2018 Lunch – Canyon Club   Dinner – Turkey Soup with Ribbles and Turkey Salad

I ate yogurt, granola, milk, grapes, and sliced banana for breakfast to sooth my stomach bacteria that got very upset and protective yesterday from the BBQ I stuffed down into it.


I worked until 10:55 when I walked to Charlie’s and he drove us to the book club meeting luncheon at the Canyon Club in Four Hills at 11:30.

There were 10 of us today for lunch.  The club set a corner table overlooking the golf course.  Here is a picture.



The Club has a varied menu.  Here are the menus.






 I ordered my usual Chef’s Salad, many others ordered breakfast such as Charlie and some ordered Mexican food, such as a stuffed Sopapilla.









After lunch we drove to Mike’s wife, Bonnie’s house, which has an open floor plan with large glass windows with exquisite views across the golf course to the Four Hills.  The house sits near a small lake on the golf course to and from which flocks  of migratory birds flew constantly while we discussed Sapiens by Harrari until about 3:00.

I arrived home at around 4:00 and Suzette arrived around 5:00 after stopping at Lowe’s to buy celery and bags of frozen corn for the Turkey Soup she was making for dinner.

Turkey Soup with Ribbles

Last Friday we made turkey stock from the Thanksgiving Turkey bones and filled freezer bags with PPI turkey meat. Today Suzette made one of my favorite soups, to which I look forward fondly every
Thanksgiving.  It has become my favorite use of PPI Turkey.

I finely diced 1 large onion, four or five stalks of celery, and ¾ lb. of mini carrots. Suzette sautéed the celery and onion to soften them and develop some flavor.  She put the turkey stock into a large pot with a couple lb. of turkey meat.  Then she added the mirepoix and 2 lb. of frozen corn kernels.

Suzette then made Ribbles, which are a combination of ingredients loosely assembled that resemble dumplings or Speatzle, in the Cuisinart.

Here is a recipe.

Ribbles 

1 cup Flour 

1/4 cup Butter or Shortening 

1/4 tsp Salt 

3 tbsp Water

She heated and seasoned the soup and added the Ribbles a few minutes before serving.


While the soup was cooking I finely diced two more stalks of celery, and Suzette made turkey salad with the remaining turkey meat by combining some mild chow chow, diced dill pickles, a bit of Dijon mustard, chopped hard boiled eggs, and mayonnaise with the celery and turkey.



Luke and Willy joined us for dinner.  Luke just received a job offer to perform his old job, to help manage Maha Rose spiritual healing center in NYC, so we celebrated and encouraged him to take the job and move back to NY.

I opened a bottle of 2016 Benton Lane Pinot Gris that I had chilled for Thanksgiving but did not serve because folks wanted to drink red wine.

The Pinot Gris tasted fabulous with the turkey soup.  Its slight acidity cut through the fat in the broth and turkey meat, without diminishing its fruity pleasant aftertaste and aroma.  It was a wonderful very drinkable wine.  Benton Lane Winery is located a few miles north of Eugene in the southern Willamette Valley.  We visited the winery several years ago and I have ordered wine from them for several years, especially when offered at a discount during holidays.  The southern Willamette Valley is my second favorite American wine region after Anderson Valley in Northern California’s Mendocino County. They both produce my favorite wines, elegant PInot Noir roses and reds and the Northern French, Alsace varieties. Pinot Gris is probably my favorite.

After dinner Willy and Luke left and we watched TV and sipped cognacs.  I ate two chocolate truffles (Trader Joe’s $2.99 for 8 oz.) and Suzette ate vanilla ice cream with Hershey’s chocolate syrup and a sprinkle of roasted and ground pumpkin seeds made from our Thanksgiving pumpkin.

I guess we process a lot of food.  It reminds me of the old comment that the Plains Indians used every part of the buffalo.  Why throw out the seeds from your pumpkin if you can salt and roast them and grind them into a powder to sprinkle on top of desserts. We did throw out the pumpkin skin/husk.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment