Thursday, November 1, 2018

November 1, 2018 Lunch – PPI Vietnamese Miso Chicken Noodle Soup. Dinner – Stir Fried Teriyaki Salmon, Bok Choy, Mushrooms, and water chestnuts

November 1, 2018 Lunch – PPI Vietnamese Miso Chicken Noodle Soup. Dinner – Stir Fried Teriyaki Salmon, Bok Choy, Mushrooms, and water chestnuts

Last night’s meal of Roasted Duck was so delicious and filling that I had no hunger until lunch today.  I was waiting for the plumber and roofer so I decided to eat lunch at home.  I added water to the PPI Vietnamese Miso Chicken Noodle Soup plus six chicken mini dumplings, two sliced green onions, and a heaping T. of red miso to reconstitute the remnants of yesterday’s soup into a very pleasant and filling lunch.

At 1:45 I made teriyaki sauce by heating 1/3 cup each of soy sauce, Mirin, sake, and added 1 T. of sugar.  I put the two sockeye salmon filets in a freezer bag and added the teriyaki sauce to marinate them for dinner.

I worked until after 5:00.  At 5:45 Luke and I went to meditate and returned at 7:00.

Suzette, Luke, and I had a discussion.  We were missing a green vegetable until Suzette mentioned that we had a large head of bok Choy in the garage fridge.  I immediately suggested we stir fry the salmon with bok Choy.  I fetched a can of sliced water chestnuts and bottles of sesame oil, Chinese cooking wine, and soy.  I diced the bok Choy and separated the thick white portion of the stalk from the green leaves.  While I sliced two green onions and four mushrooms, Suzette and Luke diced about 1 lb. of salmon,  garlic, and ginger.  Luke cooked rice.

Suzette then heated peanut oil in the wok and stir fried the salmon.  Then she removed the salmon

from the wok and stir fried the garlic and ginger and then added the bok Choy white portion.  After a bit she added the mushrooms, water chestnuts, and green onion.  Finally Suzette added the green bok choy leaves.

I made a seasoning sauce with 1 tsp. of Sesame oil, 1 T. of Chinese cooking wine, 2 tsp. of soy, 2 tsp. of oyster sauce, 2 tsp. of cornstarch, and ¼ cup of water.

After the vegetables had begun softening we returned the salmon to the wok and added the seasoning sauce.  The seasoning sauce thickened quickly, so Suzette added about 1/3 more water to the wok and a light brown sauce resulted that coated the ingredients.

We ladled salmon/bok Choy stir fry on top of a small pile of rice.  I made a cup of green tea. Suzette
drank a beer and Luke drank water.



We loved dinner.  It was like magic that we discovered a perfect recipe for the available ingredients.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment