Friday, November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018 Lunch – Green Chili Cheeseburgers from Monroe’s Dinner – Turkey Dinner at Amy and Vahl’s

November 23, 2018 Lunch – Green Chili Cheeseburgers from Monroe’s
Dinner – Turkey Dinner at Amy and Vahl's


We woke up and I sliced two slices of bagel, smeared them with cream cheese, and laid slices of red onion and Gravad Lax on them.  I sliced two slices of Lax for Suzette that she cooked into a fried egg for her breakfast.


We talked with Amy about the menu for her mea.  We agreed to bring a sweet potato and potato casserole, the vegetarian dressing for Autumn, a jar of Quince and fruit compote, and a chocolate pecan pie.

When we finished washing the dishes, glasses, and silver from yesterday’s meal,  I sliced two carrots, a half bunch of parsley, two white mushrooms, a frozen cucumber, and ½ red onion and put them in a French casserole which Suzette filled with water and simmered on the stove t make a vegetable broth.   She then peeled and sliced sweet potatoes and russet potatoes and layered the sweet potatoes on the bottom and russet slices on top and in a buttered ceramic baking dish and filled the dish with vegetable stock and covered it with aluminum foil and roasted it in a 350 degree oven set on convection at around 10:30.

We drove to the parking lot by the Bosque north of Central and walked for about twenty-five minutes through the Bosque.

We decided to not cook lunch and instead to order burgers from Monroe’s, which makes Suzette’s favorite Green chili cheeseburger.  I ordered a plain cheeseburger with an order of fried onion rings.  Suzette ordered French fries  with her burger.

We drove home to check the potato dish.  I grated Pecorino-Romano cheese and Suzette uncovered the top and spread cheese on top of the potatoes and cooked them for about twenty more minutes, while she drove to Monroe’s to pick up the burgers and fries.  I filled a bowl with dill pickles and green cracked olives and fetched a beer for Suzette and cola for me and we enjoyed eating our burger and fries.





After lunch Suzette read her paper and I read my Homo Dues book and put together a gift of sacred Chimayo dirt in a vase and a birthday card for Debbie, until Willy came to get us at around 2:30.

Willy drove us to Amy’s.  When we arrived Luke, Debbie, and Autumn has already arrived, as had Dyane, Vahl’s sister. Dyane had brought a bottle of Elk Cove Pinot Gris and offered me a glass which I gladly accepted.  Elk Cove is my favorite and, I think, most highly rated Pinot Gris produced in America, so quite a treat.


Soon Amy had organized the meal.  Vahl roasted the turkey and Amy made the dressing, string beans, Waldorf salad, and gravy. So, we ate another delicious dinner, although the burger had somewhat quelled my hunger.





 After dinner, Suzette made us dessert plated with chocolate pecan pie!quince compote, and vanilla ice cream.I did manage to eat two helping of chocolate pecan pie.

I don’t know if it was the scorched pecan pie or the greasy fried onion rings, but later in the evening I got heartburn, which I seldom get know.

Dyane left and a bit later Luke and the girls left to go to Meow Wolf.

We talked a bit longer and then left around 7:00.  Willy got us home a bit after 8:00 and he and Suzette worked on the layout for his apartment at the Candy store, while I watched some football.

At 10:00 Willy left and we went to bed.

I poured a small sip of German pear brandy to try to settle my stomach and blogged a bit.

Today Suzette created a new recipe, a two potato vegetarian au gratin.  I was lighter than regular au gratin made with milk or cream and I liked the clean flavor. Vahl served two difference zinfandels with dinner.  The first was 7 Deadly Zins.

It was another lovely family turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment