Tuesday, October 9, 2018

October 7, 2018. Chicken Salad with Avocado on Spinach Salad

October 7,  2018. Chicken Salad with Avocado on Spinach Salad

We ate a smoked pork, mushroom, shallot, and cheese omelet for breakfast.

In the early afternoon I prepped the chicken salad.  I finely diced four stalks of celery, I boiled four eggs, i deboned and diced the white meat from the roasted chicken Suzette brought home from the Greenhouse Bistro, 1/2 of a small red onion finely diced, and finely diced a Granny Smith apple.

Suzette took over at this point and mixed the ingredients together with mayo and apple cider vinegar, while I went to the garden with Luke and picked a couple stalks of fresh tarragon and six stalks of chive.   Luke was infatuated with the extensive growths of herbs and picked handfuls of lavender, basil, and mint, which he put into a large jar and infused with hot water to make a lovely fresh, slightly bitter herb tea.  Here is a photo.


I de-stemmed the leaves of about 1 ½ T. of tarragon and chopped them finely and added them plus the finely sliced stalks of chives to the chicken salad.


I then napped for a while.  When I awakened it was after 5:00.  We decided to eat an early Dinner.  As an rested in bed Suzette took over in the kitchen.  She sliced the large avocado I had bought at El Super on Wednesday and used the slices to garnish the chicken salad piled on top of a pile of fresh spinach leaves and drizzled the whole salad with a simple balsamic and olive oil dressing.

We drank the rest of the Matua New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and enjoyed its crisp grapefruity flavor with the salad.

We watched Sixty Minutes and then The Durrells in Corfu (our favorite TV series), and finally, Poldark.

We went to bed at 9:30 after a relaxing day.

The big thing to avoid is pneumonia, so I am drinking lots of liquid to clear the mucous built up in my lungs and sinuses in the hospital as well as the ketones, so I drank lots of Luke’s herbal tea.  After dinner I had a cup or two with several chocolate wafer cookies and earlier I toasted two small pieces of French baguette and spread them with Brie cheese.   Suzette enjoyed a bowl of Java chip ice cream with a Hershey’s chocolate syrup as we watched our favorite evening of TV.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment