Sunday, October 14, 2018

October 12, 2018 Lunch – Taj Mahal. Dinner – A Real German Dinner Sauerkraut Baked Braised Bratwurst with Mashed Potatoes and Baked Apples

October 12, 2018 Lunch – Taj Mahal. Dinner – A Real German Dinner Sauerkraut Baked Braised Bratwurst with Mashed Potatoes and Baked Apples

I ate the PPI Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup for breakfast.


I worked until 12:30 and then went lunch.  A traffic accident blocked Indian School and made me divert to I-40 to get to Carlisle.  I initially had thought about Padilla’s but as I neared the Carlisle Exit of I-40, I decided to not try to retrace the route on Indian School, but instead to go to Taj Mahal for several reasons; the Indian Cuisine buffet offered both protein and vegetable rich dishes, which my body is craving, the Indian food would be less spicy than a Chile Relleno, and my palate has yet to recover and the brightness of Indian food might excite my palate better than Chile and beans.

I was correct on all counts.  I loved the food at Taj Mahal.  Shamiz seated me at a good table far from a family with a crying baby. The food was its usual high quality. My palate seems to be rehabbing, the spices in the tikka Masala and chicken curry seemed brighter.  To get all the protein I could force down I choose chicken tandoori with cooked onions, beef meatballs in tamarind sauce, chicken tikka masala, a chicken curry, and ate several pieces of paneer with my saag, and drenched all of that with riata.  An overload of protein and flavor and my body loved it.








Shamiz sat for a few minutes and we caught up on children.  His oldest daughter is a senior at UBC where Willy obtained his undergraduate degrees, and his son is attending college in Canada also.

After eating protein five ways I returned to my car, where I received a call from Dana at Titan and went to his office too help draft a document until 4:00  on the way to Dana’s office I stopped at the Walmart grocery store at Cutler between Washington and San Mateo and bought four items, A 32 oz. bottle of Vita herring in wine sauce, a package of Lennders bagels for $1.88, bok Choy for 1$.50/lb., and a dozen eggs for $.98.

After working on Titan with Dana, I then drove to the Candy Store to meet Luis.  Suzette arrived a few minutes after 4:30.  Luis did not arrive, but when we returned home we found a phone message from Luis saying he got tied up and would not make our appointment.

I went to the bank to deposit a check and returned home around 5:30.

I actually had a bit more work to do, so I was detained when Mike arrived, so he helped peel potatoes for the mashed potatoes and we turned on the Brewers v. L.A. Dodgers baseball game.  This was the first game of the National League finals.

Suzette made a Bratwurst casserole.

She first Braised the brats in olive oil and butter and pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees.. She then deglazed the brats with a bottle of German Oktoberfest beer and added the brats to a casserole in which she had placed 24 oz. of sauerkraut (Costco).

She placed the lid on the casserole and placed it in the pre-heated oven and baked it for 30 minutes.  She then removed the casserole lid and baked the brat, beer, and sauerkraut mixture another thirty minutes.

While the brat casserole was baking Suzette baked a spaghetti squash some asparagus, and six apples in the oven.

Baked Apples – Suzette cored six apples and filled the vacant center of each with minced almond slices, raisins, and cinnamon and baked them in the oven with the casserole covered with aluminum.


She also mashed seven potatoes with butter and milk.

At 7:30 we ate a wonderfully rich dish; a pile of mashed potatoes garnished with brat and sauerkraut casserole and topped with roasted asparagus.


Mike provided us a running commentary on the game, which the Brewers won 6 to 5.  He also brought a wonderful bottle of Corsican rose’.  This was the first bottle of Corsican wine I had drunk and I loved it.  Mike said he and Kathryn were introduced to Corsican wines at a wine dinner in Paris that they enjoyed very much.  Alas, another reason to live in Paris.




We each ate an apple garnished with a scoop of Alden’s vanilla bean ice cream.

When the game ended around 9:30 we said goodnight and went to bed.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment