Friday, October 12, 2018

October 11, 2018 Lunch - Vietnamese Miso Chicken Noodle Soup Dinner – Cedar Board Grilled Teriyaki Salmon with Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy with three types of mushrooms and roasted Cauliflower

October 11, 2018 Lunch - Vietnamese Miso Chicken Noodle Soup  Dinner – Cedar Board Grilled Teriyaki Salmon with Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy with three types of mushrooms and roasted Cauliflower

I ate yogurt, granola, milk, and grapes for breakfast.

I made a Vietnamese Miso Chicken Noodle Soup for lunch with about 2 oz. of PPI toasted chicken, 3 oz. of diced tofu, 1 oz. of dried seaweed, 3 oz. of diced red onion, 1 mushroom thinly sliced, 2 green onions sliced,  and a large handful of spinach.  The soup consisted of 1 ½ quarts of water, 1 tsp. of  dehydrated chicken stock, a pho seasoning cube, a heaping T. of red miso, and 1 cup of Suzette’s homemade chicken broth. The green onion is added as a garnish.  I used three types of dried noodles, a wheat noodle, rice sticks, and mung bean threads.

The result was a rich noodle soup with a great chicken broth flavor.

At 2:30 I made teriyaki sauce. I have simplified the recipe to 1/3 cup each of soy sauce, aji mirin, and sake to which I added 1 T. Sugar and heated it to dissolve the sugar into solution.  I then put the salmon filet into a gallon freezer bag and added the teriyaki sauce to the bag and put the bag into the fridge to marinate.

At 4:00 I went to the bank, and picked up Homo Dues by Harare at the library.

At 4:30 I met Suzette, Vickie, the locksmith, and James Clark at the Candy store.  Vickie changed the locks and James came up with an idea for how to add a stable deck and staircase to the second floor, I think.

The store was left broom clean, which made me feel good.

We came home around 5:30 and I started chopping vegetables for dinner.  I sliced 4 baby bok Choy, three types of mushrooms (white and white beech and brown beach from Talin), the PPI Roasted cauliflower, ginger and garlic.
Suzette sawed a cedar board to the lengthier the filet and soaked in water.

Then at 6:30 we heated 1 cup of Suzette’s chicken broth and 1 cup of water rice to a boil and added 1 cup of basmati rice and cooked i5 on the lowest burner setting for 30 minutes.

Mike arrived at 7:00 with vanilla ice cream and 6 oz. of fresh blueberries.

Suzette put the salmon on the cedar board and grilled it outside.

I put 1 tsp. of sesame oil and 1 ½ T. of peanut oil in the wok and heated it.  Suzette took over the wok while I watched TCU play football with Texas Tech.  I had separated all the ingredients into two bowls, one hard ingredients and the other soft ingredients.  The hard ingredients included the ginger, garlic, cauliflower, and bok Choy stems.  The soft ingredients included the bok choy leaves and mushrooms.

The secret to stir frying is to add ingredients based upon the time needed to cook each ingredient to the same degree of desired softness, so the dish presents a unified texture.

After the hard vegetables softened a bit Suzette added the soft vegetables and stir fried to combine
them, while I made a seasoning sauce with 1 T. soy sauce, 1 tsp. of sesame oil, 2 T. Of Chinese Cooking wine, 2 tsp. of cornstarch, and ½ cup of water. When Suzette brought the grilled salmon in from the grill, I added the seasoning sauce to the wok and stir fried it in.  It was too thick and I had to add water to thin the sauce to coat the vegetables.  We decided to drink sake with the-meal, so I filled a small pitcher with sake and heated it in a small Le Creuset sauce pan filled with water and we were ready to eat.  We served buffet style, with each person taking rice, vegetables, and salmon.

Dinner was delicious. I am beginning to regain my Appetit and sense of taste. I love the taste of fresh salmon full of all its juices flavored lightly by the addition of teriyaki sauce.


 Mike was excited that the Milwaukee Brewers are possibly advancing to the World Series.  We decided to meet for dinner tomorrow night to watch the game.

I made a cup of green tea for Mike and me.

After dinner we watched TCU’s offense slump as a Tech surged with a 55 yard run by its quarterback for a TD to take the lead and win the game.  A sad ending for TCU.  The difference was the effectiveness of each team’s quarterbacks.  TCU’s inclination to run the ball rather than throw it to a TCU’s superb receivers was a mistake that lost the game.

At the beginning of the 4th quarter Suzette made Peach and Blueberry flambé with butter, brown, lemon juice and cognac.  It did not flame tonight, perhaps, because the alcohol burned off before she was able to light it, but it tasted delicious with the Alden’s Vanilla bean ice cream Mike bought at Whole Foods.

We said goodnight at 9:00 and went to bed.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment