Wednesday, October 24, 2018

October 23, 2018 Lunch – La Choza, Santa Fe. Dinner – Mushroom and meat Spaghetti Sauce over Spaghetti Squash


October 23, 2018 Lunch – La Choza, Santa Fe. Dinner – Mushroom and meat Spaghetti Sauce over Spaghetti Squash

Today I had to appear in court in Santa Fe.  We woke up at 7:00 and I ate granola, yogurt, milk, and tropical fruit salad and a few grapes.

I also made a chicken salad sandwich on whole wheat bread to take to the hearing.

I made it to the hearing by 10:00 and did my argument.  At 12:00 the hearing ended and Scott Wiseman delivered the artwork we bought at Zozobra Fest.

I suggested going to eat at La Choza.  We were five persons, Sammie, Scott, a couple who came from Las Cruces for the hearing, and me.  I ordered my favorite, beef enchiladas with double Posole and red chili.

The Las Cruces couple ordered the same as me.  I felt honored.  Sammie ordered meat tacos and Scott ordered a Cesar Salad with baked cod.

                                            My beef enchiladas with double Posole and red

Scott’s Cesar Salad

I loved my lunch because of all the fond memories of days gone by in Santa Fe, although I still lack my taste to some extent.  I ate my plate of food and then a sopapilla and drank two glasses of water.

After lunch I drove back to Albuquerque, arriving at around 3:00.

I was tired so I worked for an hour and then lay down and napped until 5:30.

Suzette was not home by 6:00 so I decided to make dinner.  We had a bowl of cooked spaghetti squash and all the ingredients necessary to make a mushroom, meat sauce, so I decided to make an Italian style spaghetti sauce to serve on the spaghetti squash.

Spaghetti Sauce

I finely diced a head of garlic and a medium brown onion and sliced five portobello  mushrooms and sautéed them in olive oil with about 1 lb. of ground beef. I added 7 oz. of tomato sauce, and four diced vine ripened tomatoes ($.88/lb. at Sprouts last week). I went to the garden and picked five or six stalks of oregano and 11 basil leaves and de-stemmed about 2 T. of oregano leaves and minced them with the basil leaves and added them to the sauce.  This is my basic spaghetti sauce.

Suzette came home a bit after 7:00 and added some salt to the sauce.  We decided to let the sauce cook until 7:20 to meld the flavors.  I went to the basement to fetch a bottle of Gaetano di Aquino Chianti Riserva (Trader Joe’s $5.98).  The Chianti tasted smooth and complemented the tomato sauce perfectly.  Finally I am beginning to enjoy soft tannins in red wine.




Suzette took over.  She heated the squash and served a pasta bowl with squash and we spooned sauce
on top and thin sheets of Pecorino-Romano cheese I had sliced.


It was a lovely dinner without any carbs.

We watched the first game of the World Series between Boston and LA and bits of the new PBS series on Native Americans.  The most interesting thing in the show was a recent archeological find in the Amazon basin of a 13,000 year old cave cave paintings that appear to depict the summer and winter solstice in the position in the cave where they are most visible.  Like a marker on the wall of the cave identifying the spot where one should stand to witness the setting sun on those respective days.  This tends to prove that native Americans settled the Americas far earlier and were much more knowledgeable about the celestial calendar than previously thought.  I find this completely believable if we consider that water navigation may have occurred soon after crossing the Bering Strait land bridge.  The fact that early migration by water occurred would also explain how early men were
oriented to celestial markers and thus aware of the solstices.

After dinner Suzette made a lovely dessert by again combining three PPIs, the apple crisp we bought on Saturday in Santa Fe, the baked apples Suzette made last week, and the peach and blueberry flambé she made a week ago.  She mixed all three desserts together and heated them and served bowls filled with the warm fruit crisp and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.



It was a delicious fruity treat enhanced by the creamy ice cream as it melted.

Suzette is routing for Boston, so she was happy when Boston won the game 8 to 4. When the game ended a bit after 10:00 we went to bed.

I awakened at 2:00 and wrote this blog.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment