Monday, October 22, 2018

October 22, 2018 Lunch – Vietnam 2000. Dinner – Chicken Salad Salad

I ate a bagel with cream cheese and whitefish.  I doubt I will ever tire of whitefish, especially the wonderful smoked Whitefish processed in Brooklyn that Costco sells.  It is my favorite new item at Costco, perhaps because it connects me to my childhood when the family used to go to New York for a couple of weeks and rent an apartment to visit all of my mother’s relative and her mother.  We would order food from the delicatessen. My favorite after smoked sturgeon was smoked whitefish, with rich cream cheese on a crusty NYC bagel. Heaven.

Joe and Bryan came early to snake the kitchen line to clear the clog.  Joe also got the fireplace pilot light going, so we now have a secondary source of heat.

This was one of those weird days in the market in which the fang tech stocks went up a bit while everything else went down.  I made a small gain.

So far this is the market’s worst month in the last three years and it is not over yet.

I got a message from Peter suggesting lunch.  I was free today, so he came by at noon and drove us to Vietnam 2000, which I introduced him to and now is his new favorite Vietnamese restaurant.

Peter was beef soup.  I suggested that my favorite was No. 38, Pho Soup with beef meatballs and thin slices of rare beef in a beef broth seasoned with pho seasoning with vermicelli rice noodles.

It was warmer today, so I ordered my usual summer dish, No. 21, a bowl with three layers of ingredients.  The bottom layer includes fresh mung bean sprouts, chopped lettuce, cucumber, green onion, basil, and cilantro.  The middle layer is steamed vermicelli rice noodles and the top layer is your choice of meat or meats.  The top layer of No. 21 is 2 fried egg rolls and a pile of grilled marinated pork (Bun Cha Gio). Today Peter also ordered an order of four fried egg rolls, so I had a couple extra egg rolls.  When the egg rolls arrived I took one and wrapped the lettuce leaf around it and put several cilantro leaves on it.  It was really hot when I bit into it, which for some reason made me really happy.  I order extra vegetables and fish sauce so I can load up the noodles with extra mung bean sprouts, basil, and cilantro.

We could only eat half, so I took ½ home in a box and Peter took ½ of his soup home in a covered quart plastic container.



 Peter generously treated me to lunch.  Perhaps getting sick has some benefits.

He drove me home at 1:30 and at 2:30 Tom came to fix the furnace.  Unfortunately the pilot mechanism could not be fixed

I worked on an appeal and my argument for the water case for tomorrow until 5:00.  Suzette came home a bit after 5:00 and we decided to make a chicken salad salad with a head of the Butter lettuce we bought at Costco last week.

While I was chopping chicken, celery, green onions, and an apple, Suzette chopped several radishes and some cucumber, cleaned a head of butter lettuce and arranged leaves in circles on two plates, made an olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing, and sliced two large slices of tomato from a huge hothouse tomato I bought at Sprouts last week.  She then added apple cider vinegar and mayo and peeled the five eggs I had boiled and sliced them into the salad and finished making the chicken salad.

Here is the final composed salad.




We drank French St Sagnol rose with dinner.

After dinner I ate a bite of PPI Vietnamese noodles and later a bowl of java chocolate chip ice cream doused with Kahlua.

I am feeling almost back to normal.   After dinner Suzette encouraged me to  sit in the hot tub for a bit, which relaxed my muscles and joints a bit.

A pleasant day of food, work, and relaxation.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment