Thursday, October 18, 2018

October 17, 2018. Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup. Dinner – Hamburger Steaks with Steamed Asparagus, and Sautéed Roasted Potatoes, onion, mushrooms, and Shallot

October 17, 2018. Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup. Dinner – Hamburger Steaks with Steamed Asparagus, and Sautéed Roasted Potatoes, onion, mushrooms, and Shallot

I toasted two slices of bagel and smeared them with cream cheese and garnished them with smoked whitefish for breakfast.  The whole smoked whitefish is my new favorite item at Costco, although they are adding new cheeses all the time that are worth trying.  I always try cheeses that carry the AOC designation.

I made a pot of Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup for lunch because it was a cold day and we are still without heat.  Besides the usual pho seasoning cube, the T. of red Miso, seaweed, 4 oz. of medium tofu, and three kinds of noodles, I added red onion, some PPI steak, some mushroom pieces, several white beech mushrooms, about 2 oz. of chicken, a baby bok Choy, the PPI egg whites from last night’s hollandaise sauce, and dehydrated chicken stock.

This made a hardy soup with lots of stuff that tasted wonderful.  I sliced two green onions for garnish and additional flavor.


At 4:00 I drove to Sprouts for the double Wednesday specials.  I bought organic ground beef for $2.99/lb., asparagus for $1.48/lb., milk, granola for $2.99/lb., cluster tomatoes for $.88/lb., and 1lb. of baby portobello mushrooms for $3.49.

When I returned home after 5:00 I toasted two slices of whole wheat bread, spread them with mayo, and sliced a cluster tomato to make two tomato and mayo sandwiches and then at 5:45 drove to the Friends’ Meeting House to meditate.

When I returned home at 7:00 Suzette was in bed, so I decided to make dinner.  The idea was to steam some of the asparagus and to sauté two hamburgers in a small skillet and a combination of mushrooms, onions, and the PPI roasted potatoes in a medium skillet.
I sliced some mushrooms, the last two slices of a red onion, and a shallot and sautéed them in butter and added a pound of roasted potatoes.  In a cast iron skillet I sautéed two hamburgers and put slices of blue cheese on them after they were flipped and steamed about 12 asparagus in the steamer.

This was a quick and easy meal I have made many times, that always satisfies.




I opened a bottle of French Malbec from Cahors that carried a 92 rating by Wine Enthusiast (Costco).  It was a clean wine but did not complement steak as well as acab would have in my opinion.  I still have trouble matching Malbec to food.




Suzette ate very little of her dinner and went back to bed at 8:30.

I went to bed at 9:30.  Not much enthusiasm to stay up with no heat in the house.  We have not been able to get the fireplace in the TV room to light, so it is cold also, especially with the gloomy windy weather of the past few days.

Bon Appetit.



No comments:

Post a Comment