Thursday, October 25, 2018

October 24, 2018 Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup Dinner – PPI Lamb Chop with Ratatouille and Rice

October 24, 2018 Lunch – Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup  Dinner – PPI Lamb Chop with Ratatouille and Rice

Yogurt, granola, milk, and tropical fruit salad for breakfast.

At noon I made Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup with three kinds of noodles and chicken mini wontons, chicken, fish balls, spinach, red miso, dehydrated dashi, a spicy pho seasoning cube, chicken, tofu, 3 oz. of yellow onion, three portobello mushrooms sliced, and green onion slices to garnish. Aaron joined me for lunch and then a bit of work.

At 3:15 I drove to El Super for the Wednesday specials and bought limes, sweet limes, oranges, large avocados, green onions, carrots, eggs, chicken thighs, chayote, and smoked pork cutlets.

Suzette was at home when I returned around 4:30.  I wanted to make stewed chayote and she wanted us to peel quinces, so I did both.  I quartered quinces and she then peeled them, I peeled and sliced two chayote, ½ of a poblano chili, 2/3 of a yellow onion, and diced two smoked pork chops and put those ingredients in a 2 quart pot filled with water and simmered it until 7:30 or 8:00.

I went to meditate at 5:45 and returned at 7:00.  Suzette was still peeling quinces, while she sipped a 2013 Paton-Clemente Crianza Spanish Tempranillo,

We discussed dinner.  Suzette said, “The PPI lamb chops need to be eaten.  There were two lamb chops in a Pyrex loaf pan with some Ratatouille and rice.  I love lamb and Tempranillo, so I quickly agreed.

There was little Ratatouille, so I looked in the fridge for some other vegetable and found the baked delicate squash from Sunday’s brunch.  I sliced it in half, removed its seeds,  added slices of delicata to the loaf pan,  put the Pyrex loaf pan into the microwave and pushed the sensor reheat button and start.  In a few minutes our dinner was ready.

I poured glasses of Tempranillo and Suzette plated dinner.  It was an ugly plate of delicious food.  I was particularly impressed that the sensor reheat function on the microwave did not dry out the lamb.  It still was tender and medium rare.

Suzette has eaten the last stuffed sweet pepper when she arrived home at 3:45, so she was not terribly hungry and my two bowls of noodle soup had filled me up, so one lamb chop, a bit of Ratatouille, ½ of a baked delicate squash, and some rice with a glass of Tempranillo was a perfect meal for each of us.




The Paton-Clemente Crianza is the best Tempranillo for under $5.00 (Trader Joe’s) I have found in Albuquerque.  It is a good Tempranillo and the Crianza designation indicates that it has been aged longer than a simple Tempranillo.  Here are the aging requirements for, Crianza, Reserva, and Gran Reserva wines:
Crianza wine
2 years of aging, one of them must be in barrel and bottle.
Reserva wines, with at least 12 months aging in oak plus at least 24 more months in the bottle.
Gran Reserva wines, with at least 24 months aging in oak plus at least 36 more months in the bottle.

Based on my experience, Tempranillo has a heavy skin and the wine has lots of sediment, so the longer it is aged the cleaner and more clarified the wine becomes.

The only way I can explain Payton’s low price is that it was produced in La Mancha instead of Rioja, which is a 1 ½ hour drive south of Madrid, while the Rioja is about a three hour drive north of Madrid.  La Mancha is sunnier and drier than Rioja and produces more wine, which perhaps explains why its wines are less expensive.

After dinner I ate the last of the Java chocolate chip ice cream doused with Kahlua and then drank a White Russian, milk, Kahlua, and rum, which relaxed me and made me ready to sleep as soon as the second game of the World Series and the Neanderthal Program ended at 10:00.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment