Tuesday, November 30, 2021

November 30, 2021 Lunch - Turkey Vegetable Soup with Dumplings. Dinner - prosciutto and melted Jarlsberg cheese sandwiches

November 30, 2021 Lunch - Turkey Vegetable Soup with Dumplings. Dinner - prosciutto and melted Jarlsberg cheese sandwiches 


Some days simple food’s flavor is astounding.  Today was just such a day.


It started around 9:30 when I toasted two slices of bagel, spread them with a thick layer of cream cheese, loaded them with the last six or seven slices of Gravad lax left on the first side of lax, added several thin slices of red onion and a generous spoonful of capers.  It was a luxurious breakfast in which nothing was skimped.  I drank a cup or two of the fine Chinese green tea given to me by Marty and Yo-yo. It was a joy to eat.



Then I worked until 2:30 after the market closed and my portfolio suffered a  1% loss.  I was actually encouraged by the last three days o& trading because my portfolio is still near its all time high after suffering two days of  horrendous losses in the market.  In fact the market rallied through the close into the after hours trading session and early futures for tomorrow point to a strong rally, which is consistent with the last three days of up and down movements.


I heated a bowl of Turkey and Vegetable soup with dumplings for a late lunch.  It was delicious, rather like a wonderful matzo ball soup with lots of turkey and vegetables.



I finished a letter and then drove to the bank to deposit a check.  When I returned at 4:30 I walked .75 miles.  When up I returned at 5:15 Suzette was home watching her home remodeling shows so I went to my bed and read a few pages of Comanche Empire.  


We are between refrigerators.  Our old one died and the new one will be delivered on Thursday and we had to throw out all the frozen food in the old fridge, so we are on short rations.  What we do have is lots of bread, so I decided to make two open faced sandwiches for dinner.


I toasted two slices of whole wheat sandwich bread.  I buttered each slice and lay a slice of prosciutto on each, the spread tarragon mustard and finally lay several slices of Jarlsberg cheese on each slice.  I the heated the sandwiches in the microwave to melt the cheese and enjoyed the sandwiches with a glass of water.




Suzette was more tired than hungry and went to bed early.


I stayed up to watch the Henry Gates special on PBS.  I liked it even though it was mostly a fund raising program.


I also ate a bowl of chocolate ice cream with a splash of rum and 5 maraschino cherries.


The simple food was really satisfying and rather elegant.


I hope to continue to eat more simply.  Today I was on a good dietary regimen with lots of carbs and protein.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment