Friday, November 5, 2021

November 4, 2021. Lunch - PPI Baked Chicken Thighs. Dinner - Chicken Curry

 November 4, 2021. Lunch - PPI Baked Chicken Thighs.  Dinner - Chicken Curry


I awakened at 7:30.  Now that the daylight hours are getting shorter, I tend to sleep later.


We ate granola, milk, blueberries and yogurt for breakfast.


I had a relaxing day, which I needed after three days of trial prep and a one day trial.  I hope this was my last trial.


I worked on a probate in the morning and paying bills.


At lunch I heated the last two chicken thighs baked with a lemon, garlic, and rosemary sauce with a few green beans and potatoes in the garden with my back bathed In sunlight.


After lunch I took a .6 mile walk in the neighborhood and then checked my portfolio.  Today as signified pay huge swings in the market, Nvidia and AirBNB and Qualcomm were up but their gain was more than off set by a huge drop in Moderna of 62 points and over 5 points by Square.


In the end I had a modest .2% drop in the value of my portfolio.


I napped from 3:30 to 4:30 and then drove to the bank.


I returned home a few minutes before 5:00 just in time to meditate with the group until 5:30, which is when Suzette arrived and we started cooking dinner.


Suzette and I deboned the chicken.


Then we each prepared a dish.  Suzette prepared a pot full of Pennsylvania Dutch recipe: a crustless Chicken Pot Pie, which is more of a chicken stew ( diced potatoes, carrots, chicken, and celery with egg noodles cooked in the pot using the white meat.



I made my traditional Madras Chicken curry using the dark meat.  I chopped two small onions, three cloves of garlic and sautéed those in 2 T. of canola oil.  Then I added about two lb. of pumpkin cubes, about 1 1/2 lb. of dark chicken, two to three T.  of Madras curry powder ( 2 T. of a mild one and 1 T. of a spicy curry powder), 1 1/2 cup of raisins with the water they were rehydrated in, three apples cubed, plus’s three cups of chicken stock. We  cooked the mixture for an hour until all the ingredients softened.


While the curry was cooking I made 1 1/2 cups of rice in a sauce pan of 3 cups of boiling water and chicken broth plus a stick of cinnamon and six or seven cloves. After the addition of the rice I covered the pan and reduced the stove temperature to the lowest setting to simmer the rice for 30 minutes.





While I was cooking the rice and curry, Suzette was making a Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie, which by my reckoning is actually a thick soup containing the 1 1/2 lb. of chicken white meat, a diced onion, several stalks of celery, and three or four carrots and a healthy amount of egg noodles boiled in about two quarts to three quarts of chicken stock flavored with dried tarragon in this rendition.  When the noodles were fully cooked Suzette took the bucket of pot pie to the garage. We will eat it tomorrow for lunch.


Willy came to our rescue at 6:30 with a bag of carrots from which we diced three for the pot pie.


Willy stayed for dinner.


Suzette chopped a handful of roasted peanuts (Costco) and I fetched the grated coconut from the freezer.  Willy fetched two beers and two Angry Orchard crisp apple ciders from the garage fridge and we were ready to eat about 1 1/2 hours after we had begun cooking.


The prep time was aided significantly by having baked the pumpkin and boiled the whole chicken in the stock yesterday.  If we had to cook them it would have added at least another 1 1/2 hours to the prep.  Instead we cooked them while we prepped and ate dinner yesterday.


Willy drank DePonte Lonesome Rock Pinot Noir and water with dinner.  Suzette drank a Dos Equis beer and I drank a hard apple cider.


Willy left after dinner and we then watched Midsomer Mystery about a real estate development in an old village in which the murderer was a lawyer, killing of relatives in a mistaken belief he would inherit the abandoned village and gain the benefit of its development.


Alas, an evil lawyer gets his just desserts.


Talking about desserts, during the Mystery Suzette heated the last of the apple and raisin crisp she made from the apples from our tree last week in the microwave, added a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and served us each a bowl for a perfect dessert to remember the bounty of Summer while we sat cozy in our warm house with the cold breezes of Fall outside our windows.


We went to bed by 10:00 after the Mystery ended at 9:30.


Bon Appetit 





No comments:

Post a Comment