Friday, November 19, 2021

November 19, 2021 lunch - Fish, Miso, and Noodle Soup. Dinner - Pork and Vegetable Stir-fry with Rice

November 19, 2021 lunch - Fish, Miso, and Noodle Soup. Dinner - Pork and Vegetable Stir-fry with Rice


I woke up around 7:15 and saw that the market futures for the Dow and NASDAQ were diverging.  By the end of the day that divergence would grow to over 200 points with the Dow down 269 points and the NASDAQ up 63 points.  Again the mega techs outperformed. Apple, Nvidia, Facebook, and Moderna rose significantly.  My portfolio rose another 1%.  The NASDAQ and my portfolio ended at all time highs.


It is hard to complain about the performance of the Market lately other than to say that it is rising uncomfortably fast unless you are on the crest of the wave being carried to new records every day.  The more speculative stocks with unproven revenue streams and profitability are suffering, but the dominant well run, perennially successful companies are being bid up, especially those that enjoy a dominant market position in their industry.  A 5% dip in the market, which is huge, will not create much anxiety if you are up over 27%, as I am for the year.


I am truly thankful for having the aptitude, resources, and interest to comfortably isolate in my house and still be able to engage in investing in the Market during the last two years.  I am sure I would have gone crazy if I had not had access to the economic news and stock market to occupy my time.  I am also lucky that I have created the revenue to not be forced to engage in daily employment outside the home, because that could have proven deadly in my case.


I ate a bowl of granola, tropical fruit salad, milk, and yogurt for breakfast and did some legal work, including accomplishing a major breakthrough on my new probate case and giving some shares of stock in a start up company to the kids and Suzette.



At 1:00 I made a Fish, Miso, and Noodle Soup with three kinds of noodles, the PPI grilled fish from Tuesday night, 1 1/2 T. of red miso, 8 oz. of firm tofu, five stalks of Yu Choy diced, two mushrooms sliced, and a minced shallot in a pot filled with water flavored with instant dashi and pulse seaweed.  

It was delicious and I ate two bowls before I was distracted back to work by a phone call from the County Attorney.


After lunch I worked on the probate matter and then at 3:45 I went to the bank to cash a check and have my signature on the assignments acknowledged.


When I returned home a bit before 5:00 Suzette had arrived.


I rested for a few minutes until Suzette said she was getting hungry.  We decided to stir fry an assortment of vegetables with two Pork chops.


I diced the pork chops and tossed them to coat them with cornstarch and a few drops of sesame oil.  Then I minced about 1 1/2 T. of ginger, 1 T. of garlic, a small pile of the white sections of scallions, and 1/2 of a pasilla chili, while Suzette de-stemmed a handful of snow peas, diced a zucchini, and made a seasoning sauce with oyster sauce, soy sauce, Chinese Cooking wine, and sesame oil.


Suzette then stir fried the pork, scallions, ginger, and garlic.  Then she added the vegetables and the seasoning sauce while I filled a Pyrex loaf pan with the PPI rice, which Suzette covered with Saran and heated in the microwave.


I went to the garage and fetched a bottle of beer for Suzette and a bottle of Emma Reichard Rose for me.  In short order we had cooked a delicious hot meal.


We served ourselves rice and stir fried pork and enjoyed a tasty meal thanks to Suzette’s excellent seasoning sauce.



Later I ate several cookies with cups of tea.


We watched an episode of La Brea on Netflix and then Suzette went to bed.


I stayed up until 11:30 to blog and watch the news.


Bon Appetit



 



No comments:

Post a Comment