Sunday, November 14, 2021

November 14, 2021 Brunch - Bagels with cream cheese, Gravad lax, red onion slices, and capers. Dinner - Sushi

November 14, 2021 Brunch - Bagels with cream cheese, Gravad lax, red onion slices, and capers. Dinner - Sushi


This was a day filled with a lot of slicing.


I started in the morning slicing the two baguettes we bought at Costco and toasting a small piece of baguette that I spread with marmalade and garnished with a slice of Iberico cheese.


Then I removed the peel from 18 lemons for a double recipe of limoncello.  I put them in a bottle in which Suzette poured 2 liters of 151 proof grain alcohol.  She then took the bottle to the basement to allow the lemon peel infuse the alcohol with its flavor for a month.  Then she will add sugar to finish making limoncello.


                                                       Eight peeled, ten to go


                     Peel of 18 lemons and 2 liters of alcohol in the bottle


When Suzette became hungry around 10:00 we made Bagels with cream cheese, Gravad lax, red onion slices, and capers.  


                                                             Our bagel break


Then I finished peeling the lemons while I watched Dallas crush Atlanta 43 to 3.


I lay down until 4:00 and then fetched the papaya, the pineapple, the three mangos, and four oranges from the garage and made tropical fruit salad.


We each ate a few bites of fruit as a snack.


Dinner 


At 6:00 I cooked a cup of sushi rice.  I flavored 2 cups of water with a tsp. of instant dashi, a T. of Mirin, a T. of rice vinegar and 1/2 T. of sugar. I brought it to a boil and then added 1 cup of jasmine rice and simmered the pot covered for 30 minutes.


We had thawed a couple of pieces of salmon and five scallops during the day. Suzette helped by bringing me the salmon, scallops, tuna we had bought yesterday, three radishes, the pickled ginger, and pickled leeks and a large serving plate.  I sliced the ingredients and arranged them on the plate, while Suzette heated a small pitcher of sake in a pot of water on the stove.  I fetched the dipping bowls and filled them with wasabi paste and soy and filled a bowl with pickled ginger and placed it in the middle of the large serving plate.  Suzette also filled a bowl with the seaweed salad we bought yesterday and added a T. of sesame oil because it was from Korea and had lots more red pepper and no sesame oil like the Japanese variety.


Suzette heated a pot of water and I made green tea.  Then Suzette filled Chinese tea cups with sake and we had a lovely sushi dinner.




After dinner I watched Adele One Night only.  It was beautifully sited at Griffith Observatory in L.A. and beautifully produced with a light show and aerial shots of the sunset.  A real extravaganza to push her new album, 30.

I believe Rolling Stone’s assessment that Adele has a once in a generation voice, like Aretha did.


I switched back and forth from Adele to the Kansas City v. Oakland Raiders football game while Suzette worked at her desk until 8:00 when we watched this week’s episode of Grantchester and then Baptise.


After dinner I ate the last two chocolate sandwich cookies with another cup of green tea.


We went to bed at 10:00, I to blog and read and Suzette to sleep.


Suzette said it was a lovely day and I was happy.


We have lots of fruit salad, enough leftover sliced sushi for lunch tomorrow, and we will be drinking limoncello by Christmas.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment