Wednesday, November 10, 2021

November 9, 2021 Lunch - Leftover Bun Cha Gio. Dinner - Sautéed Hamburgers and Onions with Ed’s Potato Salad, and Cole slaw

November 9, 2021 Lunch - Leftover Bun Cha Gio.  Dinner - Sautéed Hamburgers and Onions with Ed’s Potato Salad, and Cole slaw


Today there was little emphasis on food or much of anything else except rest.  I did not leave the house except to cut down three unwelcome invasive trees in the wisteria on the east side of the house.


I awakened at 7:00 and finished yesterday’s blog and then ate granola, milk, yogurt, and blueberries for breakfast.


I showered and dressed and, after my adventure in gardening, worked with Shahin on his project for an hour until 11:30.


I decided to eat the leftover Bun Cha Gio from yesterday for a light lunch.  I heated it for about 30 seconds to warm the noodles a bit but not cook the herbs and lettuce.  It was a delicious leftover.  


I then lay down for a nap until 3:35.  When I awakened from my nap I checked my portfolio.  It had lost .86% of its value today.  After a ten day positive run, such an adjustment is common.  I am not concerned because the trend in the market appears to be upward, even though there may a further adjustment tomorrow.


Actually, Moderna lost $130.00 of value in the last week but other stocks such as Nvidia rose enough to offset the loss in Moderna.  So, I am waiting for some encouraging announcement from Moderna that will send it back up and my portfolio to a new high. Even with today’s drop my portfolio is within 2% of its all time high adjusted for the $38,500 mandatory distribution I made last month.


I thawed the 3 lb. package of ground beef we recently had bought at Smith’s this morning with the intention of making hamburgers for dinner so we could finish the platter of cole slaw, potato salad, and fresh tomato and arugula salad Ed and Ben made for last Saturday night’s soirée at the Center.


Suzette and I worked until after 6:00 and then I started dinner.


I first went to the cellar to choose several red wines as possible candidates for our dinner wine.  I selected a Wellington 2011 Petite Syrah, a 2012 French Chateau produced Bordeaux, and a 2015 Cherry Blossom California Pinot Noir bought at Trader Joe’s several years ago for $4.99 and put them on the counter for Suzette to choose from.


I then sliced three 2/3 inch thick slices of yellow onion and formed two hamburgers and sautéed them in olive oil and butter until the hamburgers were cooked to medium rare and the onion slices lightly browned and translucent.


I fetched the tray of salads and the catsup bottle from the fridge and put them on the table.


I yelled to Suzette to “Come to dinner.”


The adventure of this evening’s dinner was to see which bottle of wine Suzette would choose.  She chose the 2015 Cherry Blossom, which I might have chosen also.  At least I understood why she chose the 2015 Cherry Blossom.  It was chosen because it was the most interesting bottle. 


Why was it the most interesting?  Because we knew the quality and ability to age of the other two bottles, but not the Cherry Blossom with its twist off cap.  So the interesting question was, How well does a $4.99 bottle of California Pinot Noir age in six years?   We opened the bottle and sipped the dark rich wine and discovered that it aged rather well, if one disregarded those elegant $50.00 bottles of Dundee Hills Pinots for a moment. It had taken on a heaviness and richness and even earthiness that it lacked in its younger years.  Interesting.


                                                    My plate without catsup


                                                  Suzette's plate with catsup


We watched the last of Finding your Roots and then Lawrence O’Donnell and went to bed shortly after 9:00, which is actually 10:00 if one disregards the fall back time change on Sunday. It seems our bodies have not adjusted to the time change yet.


After dinner I drank a cup of chai and ate two cookies and two squares of milk chocolate and a sip of Calvados, but I still awakened at 12:45 with my stomach trying to digest the 1/2 lb. of ground beef I had eaten for dinner. 


I am finishing this blog as I start to drink my second glass of cool water in an effort to flush my system.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment