Sunday, March 31, 2024

March 31, 2024 A Quiet Easter Breakfast - Zabar Lax and Bagels Late Lunch - Pita Sandwiches with Salami. Dinner - Stir Fried Pork Belly, Zucchini, Asparagus, and Mushroom

March 31, 2024 A Quiet Easter Breakfast - Zabar Lax and Bagels  Late Lunch - Pita Sandwiches with Salami. Dinner - Stir Fried Pork Belly, Zucchini, Asparagus, and Mushroom


My gut seems to have recovered a degree of stability.


I woke up at 6:00 and made a cup of Earl Grey tea and ate a chocolate crepe heated for 38 seconds in the microwave and watched the first PL match of the day between  Liverpool and Brighton that Liverpool won to go into first place in the PL with 67 points.


The next match was the big one of the day and perhaps the year. It was Number 2 Arsenal at 65 points against now number 3 Man City at 64 points, so a win by either would put the winner in First place.


I made chocolate chip cookies with Suzette. The kind a love. Added butter, 2 T. of cocoa, three eggs instead of 2, plus raisins and toasted pecans added to the 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips. The regular recipe is 2 cups flour, 1/2 lb. Butter, 1 1/2 cups brown and white sugar, 1 tsp. Baking soda an 1/2 tsp. Salt plus a tsp. of vanilla.  The result is a chocolate colored chocolate chip cookies.




Willy arrived as we were beginning to bake the 36 or so cookies and helped us put in and take out and rack the cookies to cool.

After we ate a few Suzette toasted some bagels and we spread them with cream cheese and garnished them with onion, Zabar’s lax, and capers and had a great Easter brunch as we watched Man City and Arsenal play to a 0 to 0 tie that left Liverpool at the top of the PL standings.


After lunch we gave Willy a bag of cookies to take to Amy in Santa Fe for their Easter dinner of Indian food and a bag for him.


I was happy to have been able to create a small amount of joy for others at Easter.


Actually, I was also motivated by the fact that Costco is now selling large chocolate chip cookies without pecans or raisins for $3.49 per cookie, which is approximately the cost of the 36 cookies I made.


I rested and napped until 3:00 when I walked outside in the warm sunlight through the garden and rested in a chair on the patio for a few minutes and smelled the blooming wisteria and counted myself lucky.


At 4:00 I went to the kitchen and made two pita pocket sandwiches with salami, cured ham, tomato and feta cheese slices and sour cream.



I drank the last of the Clamato juice with a few drops of lime juice.


Then at 6:00 we watched Dr. Morgan MD and at 7:00 I took a shower and shaved and Suzette rubbed baby oil on the rash on my back and treated my toes with antibacterial soap and then ointment. I felt like a new man.


We then went to the kitchen to cook dinner. We wanted to keep going in the diet for a small planet direction, so we decided to combine the beans and rice Luke had made with a fresh stir fry dish of pork belly, mushrooms, asparagus, minced shallot, and sliced zucchini.


While I was slicing the zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus and mincing the shallot, Suzette sliced pork belly into lardon strips and several cloves of garlic that she started stir frying in an wok with olive oil.


After she stir fried the garlic and pork belly u)nail cooked she added all other ingredients and sautéed  and finally added the beans and rice and heated the mixture.




I wanted mine in an egg matrix so Suzette whisked two eggs and added them to the wok after she took her portion and I stir fried the eggy suspension of ingredients.




I poured out the last glass of Trader Joe’s

 Anderson Valley Pinot noir and filled a glass of water.


We then watched PBS Masterpiece Theatre’s production of Nolly.


At 9:00 Suzette went to bed and I stayed up to watch a compelling Masterpiece drama named Alice and Jack and at 10:00 an Australian production titled Royal Flying Doctor Service with a cup of chai.


At 11:00 I blogged this entry and then went bed after a very relaxing day.


Every day I seem to get stronger. We decided today to try to extend our trip to Dallas by two days so we can go to Fort Worth and perhaps Weatherford to see the Chandor Gardens, which Billy agreed to.


I only use the cane to help keep me safe. Otherwise I can walk on my own two legs with my two new hips.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment