Wednesday, October 7, 2020

October 7, 2020 Lunch – Seafood Soup with Rice. Dinner – Chicken and Refried Black Bean Tacos with Guacamole

 October 7, 2020 Lunch – Seafood Soup with Rice. Dinner – Chicken and Refried Black Bean Tacos with Guacamole

Today I did a lot of grocery shopping.  I placed a 30 item order from El Super and then went to a Doctor’s appointment at 9:00, after which I stopped at the large Smith’s an Montgomery and Louisiana.

I intended to only buy parsley but went crazy when I saw some of the specials.  I bought a whole chicken for $.59/lb., 3 salmon filets for $4.97/lb., and broccoli crowns for $1.39/lb., a head of celery, a Hawaiian pineapple for $1.88, and Brussels Sprouts for $1.40/lb.  Then when I arrived at the back end of the produce section I saw lots of interesting items reduced to $.99 per bag.  The reduced items I bought included two bags with four parsnips each, a bag with four large avocados, a bag with six turnips, and a bag with two large portobello mushrooms and two green bell peppers. I also bought two ½ gallon containers of ice cream on sale for $1.88 each.

I am sure we will be roasting root vegetables soon.

After lunch the Instacart 30 item order from El Super was delivered at 1:00 that included mangos, a papaya, a pineapple, oranges, yellow and red onions, requeson, head on shrimp for $4.99/lb., bacon, cucumbers, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, condensed milk, Refried Black beans, apples, leeks, potatoes, a bag of mung bean sprouts, small avocados, radishes, and a Napa cabbage.

When I returned home at 11:00 I heated the PPI container of seafood soup Suzette made with the PPI grilled salmon, Halibut, and the clam and spaghetti dish and added a small container of PPI sushi rice for lunch. Then I worked for until 2:00 when I checked the Market and found that it was up over 500 points today fueled by the hope there will be some stimulus legislation.I then lay down and rested and read Educated until 4:20.  

I then made tortilla chips by baking quartered corn tortillas at 350 degrees until they dried out and futzed golden brown. 

Then I made guacamole with the four large avocados, about 4 oz. of yellow onion, 1/3 cup of chopped cilantro, two cloves of garlic pressed, a few dashes of Cholula hot sauce, ¼ tsp. of salt, and juice of ½ lime.

 

 
 Suzette arrived while I was making the guacamole and reminded me she was not cooking this week but after some discussions agreed that using the ½ pound of PPI chicken breast to make chicken and black bean tacos would not constitute cooking.  I agreed with her and cubed the chicken meat, about 3 oz. of onion, two cloves of garlic, and opened one of the cans of Refried Black Beans for her.

Suzette had harvested the seeds inside the pumpkin she brought home Monday and toasted them in the oven.  Then she ground a handful of toasted seeds in a coffee grinder and added them to the chicken, onion, black bean mixture In a large skillet to add a pipian flavor.

  




 I chopped lettuce as a garnish and opened two Bohemias while Suzette heated two tortillas each and spooned the chicken filling into the double walled taco shells and garnished them with lettuce.

We each added dollops of guacamole to our tacos and ate two each with gusto and washed them down with beer.

I was very satisfied and only drank two cups of chai after dinner, although Suzette ate a chocolate chip cookie.

We watched the Vice President debate, a little after commentary, and Trevor Noah.

Then at 9:30 Suzette went to bed and I blogged and then read in bed for a few minutes.

A rather unexciting day of food but an immensely interesting day of refilling the larder.

Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment