Monday, October 26, 2020

October 26, 2020 Lunch – Salmon Vegetable Noodle Soup. Dinner – Potage with cheesy Croutons and chives

 October 26, 2020 Lunch – Salmon Vegetable Noodle Soup. Dinner – Potage with cheesy Croutons and chives

Another day of PPIs converted into meals.  

I ate granola, blueberries, sliced banana, yogurt and milk for breakfast.


At noon I decided to convert the leftovers from the poached salmon with Penne in cream sauce with asparagus and the grilled salmon Teriyaki dinner into a soup.  I filled a 2 quart sauce pan half full of water and added 1 tsp. of dehydrated dashi and 1 heaping T. of white miso.  Then I added a bundle of wheat noodles and a small handful of raw rice vermicelli.  Then I began slicing and dicing and adding vegetables; 4 Savoy cabbage leaves, two green onions, 2 oz. of yellow onion, and 2oz. of zucchini.  As that cooked I added the 3 oz. of teriyaki salmon and finally a generous handful of de-stemmed spinach.

After about 30 minutes of simmering the dried noodles and other ingredients had cooked and were ready to eat.

I ladled a bowl of noodles and broth and added fresh cilantro leaves and hoisin sauce to add flavor.  I was unable to eat all the soup so there is about 2/3 of a bowl left for tomorrow.


I checked the Market and it was down over 700 points and ended at 2:00 650 points down.  I guess the market reacted to the lack of Senate action to pass a stimulus package before the election.


This is looking a lot like the George Bush administration in the lame duck period after the election in 2008.  The economy became rudderless.  The Trump administration has given up on trying to control the spread of the pandemic and it has had a direct and negative effect on the economy.


When Suzette came home a few minutes before 5:00 she sad she would be happy eating the potage I made yesterday with 3 ½ cups each of leeks and potatoes simmered in 2 quarts of water and 1 T. of salt for an hour.


I suggested croutons and Suzette suggested cheesy croutons, so she emulsified the soup and cooked it down a bit because I had added 3 quarts of water instead of 2 to account for the greater proportion of water.  Then she added 4 to six T. of heavy cream to finish the soup. 


I then cubed about ½ of a baguette and Suzette tossed the cubes in a gallon freezer bag with olive oil, salt and pepper and placed the croutons on s cookie sheet.  I grated Pecorino-Romano cheese on the croutons and Suzette baked them in a 350 degree oven on convection setting for 15 minutes to melt and fix the cheese on the croutons.


 Then went to the garden and grabbed a handful of snow covered chives and diced them.  Many of them were wilted, but they retained their flavor.


Suzette heated the soup and ladled it into French soup boels and garnished the bowls of potage with croutons and chives for a delightful dinner.


We watched the Antique Roadshow until 8:30 and Suzette went to bed.


She had cooked dinner for the facility today for three hours, chicken and vegetable chowder, so she was tired.


Her kitchen help tested positive and are now in quarantine so the kitchen had to be disinfected and a meal cooked.


 I Drank a cup of chai and a small glass of 2/3 cognac and 1/3 Grande Marnier and at 8:30 blogged.


At 9:30 I watched the PBS series on WWII.


Bon Appetit

  


            




No comments:

Post a Comment