Sunday, October 25, 2020

October 24, 2020. Brunch – Lax and Bagels. Dinner – Reconstructed Baked Penne with Caprese Salad Today was a super relaxing day interspersed with interesting activities such as a walk in the Bosque and the fall harvest of many of our garden items. I awakened around 8:15 and watched soccer and TCU v. Oklahoma until 11:00 when I took the Gravad Lax out of the fridge and cleaned and bagged it and made breakfast with some of it. I usually slice thick bagels into three slices. Today I toasted two slices and Suzette toasted the third and I spread cream cheese on all the slices and lay thin slices of red onion on mine and lay slices of fresh Gravad Lax on all three slices. Mike came by to close and cover the swamp coolers, so we are ready for winter. Then I watched the end of the TCU game and we I ate a slice of toasted banana nut bread spread with butter and plum jam and then we drove to Kit Carson Park and walked to the two lakes in the bosque. Today there were lots of migrating ducks feeding in the lakes. We saw Green teals, ringneck, and mallards. When we returned home the wind was starting to blow so we decided to harvest some of the items in our garden. We bagged thyme, tarragon, and picked the peppers, eggplants and tomatoes. I also picked oregano and chives for dinner. Suzette checked the covered bed and it is starting to sprout buds of lettuce and radishes. We decided to reconstitute the Baked Penne casserole we made earlier in the week. I chopped five or six cloves of garlic, about 3 oz. of onion, the chives and about ½ cup of oregano. Suzette started sautéing those items while I diced three Roma tomatoes and a pepper from our garden and added those to the sauté. When the vegetables were cooked Suzette mixed the sautéed vegetables and the last of the requeson and a handful of Pecorino-Romano cheese with the baked Penne and baked the reconstructed casserole in a pyrex baking dish in the oven. I opened a bottle Chianti and a Suzette made small Caprese Salads with the last large ripe tomato from our garden, slices of fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves from our garden and drizzled the salads with a red onion balsamic and olive oil dressing. We loved our freshly enhanced dinner with a lovely smooth Chianti. I thought the addition of requeson was the secret to the spongy melt in your mouth dish. After dinner we went to bed at 9:00 after a glass of limoncello for Suzette and a glass of grappa for me. Bon Appetit

 October 24, 2020. Brunch – Lax and Bagels. Dinner – Reconstructed Baked Penne with Caprese Salad 

Today was a super relaxing day interspersed with interesting activities such as a walk in the Bosque and the fall harvest of many of our garden items.

I awakened around 8:15 and watched soccer and TCU v. Oklahoma until 11:00 when I took the Gravad Lax out of the fridge and cleaned and bagged it and made breakfast with some of it.

I usually slice thick bagels into three slices.  Today I toasted two slices and Suzette toasted the third and I spread cream cheese on all the slices and lay thin slices of red onion on mine and lay slices of fresh Gravad Lax on all three slices.



  




 
  Mike came by to close and cover the swamp coolers, so we are ready for winter.

 Then I watched the end of the TCU game and we I ate a slice of toasted banana nut bread spread with 
butter and plum jam and then we drove to Kit Carson Park and walked to the two lakes in the bosque.  
Today there were lots of migrating ducks feeding in the lakes.  We saw Green teals, ringneck, and mallards.



  When we returned home the wind was starting to blow so we decided to harvest some of the items in our garden.  We bagged thyme, tarragon, and picked the peppers, eggplants and tomatoes.

 
 




 I also picked oregano, peppers,  and chives for dinner.

Suzette checked the covered bed and it is starting to sprout buds of lettuce and radishes.

We decided to reconstitute the Baked Penne casserole we made earlier in the week.  I chopped five or six cloves of garlic, about 3 oz. of onion, the chives and about ½ cup of oregano.  Suzette started sautéing those items while I diced three Roma tomatoes and a pepper from our garden and added those to the sauté.







 

When the vegetables were cooked Suzette mixed the sautéed  vegetables and the last of the requeson and a handful of Pecorino-Romano cheese with the baked Penne and baked the reconstructed casserole in a pyrex baking dish in the oven.

I opened a bottle Chianti and a Suzette made small Caprese Salads with the last large ripe tomato from our garden, slices of fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves from our garden and drizzled the salads with a red onion balsamic and olive oil dressing.



 We loved our freshly enhanced dinner with a lovely smooth Chianti.

I thought the addition of requeson was the secret to the spongy melt in your mouth dish.

 After dinner we went to bed at 9:00 after a glass of limoncello for Suzette and a glass of grappa for me.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment