Tuesday, October 6, 2020

October 6, 2020 Brunch – a sausage Omelet burrito Dinner – Grilled Rib Steak, a Baked Potato, and Creamed Spinach

 October 6, 2020 Brunch – a sausage Omelet burrito   Dinner – Grilled Rib Steak, a Baked Potato, and Creamed Spinach

This was a truly crazy day.  I started watching the Market and it slowly went from negative to 177 points- positive around 1:30, when I felt great.  Then President Trump tweeted that he was stopping negotiations on a stimulus package and the market went into a 600point dive to -450 points. Mi sold near the bottom and suffered about a $10,000 loss as I repurchased my prior positions as the DOW rebounded a bit to –375 points.  I hated myself for getting swept up in panic selling and buying and especiallyPresident Trump for his erratic behavior.

  Just when we most need economic assistance to prevent a melt down he is pulling the plug on relief. It makes no sense from any perspective.  I can only assume his thinking is impaired by too much heavy steroids.

But that does not help the nation.

I had a great conversation with Dee last night in which he described making a burrito, so at 9:30i decided to make a burrito.  I sautéed baked potato strips, a crumbled slice of porkJimmie Dean sausage, some green onion, ½ of a roasted green chili, and 2 oz. of onion in butter.

 
 
  I then poured two whisked eggs over the ingredients.  It cooked into an omelet that I flipped easily with a spatula.i then toasted a flour tortilla on the gas element and then lay the tortilla on a plate and slid the 
omelet onto the tortilla.  I then rolled the omelet and tortilla into a burrito that was fabulously delicious.


  
     
 


       I drank my favorite Mexican breakfast drink hot camomile tea with honey and lime juice for a great breakfast.

At 2:30 I took steaks out of the freezer to thaw and went to the bank and then re-filled our Propane tank so we could grill.

I was not hungry until 4:00 when I toasted a slice of German whole wheat bread that a smeared with sour cream and lay pickled herring on.

I then washed and baked two large russet potatoes in the oven at 350degrees for an hour. While the potatoes baked I walked ½ mile.

I had given up working because I was so upset, so I read Educated until 5:15 when I started de-stemming spinach for dinner.

Suzette is remodeling her facility and has asked me to plan and cook dinners. Today I picked my favorite traditional Texas meal, grilled steak with a baked potato and Creamed Spinach, although a Salad is also acceptable.

When Suzette arrived around 5:30 she was hungry, so she put the steak on the grill and I chopped a shallot, a clove of garlic, 1 oz. of red bell pepper, and four sliced mushrooms.  We sautéed those 

  ingredients and Suzette made cream sauce with butter, flour, and cream.  We then added spinach to the ingredients.

The sauce was too thick so we added milk and red Vermouth and the steak juices, which produced a flavorful thick sauce.  When we added the sauce to the spinach, we had to add more milk to loosen the clumps of spinach.  When that was done I sliced the steak and Suzette opened the baked potatoes and inserted pads of butter and chopped and garnished the potatoes with chives she had picked in the garden.




 I opened a 2017 Gruet Cuvée Pinot Noir that was quite smooth and pleasant with the steak.

After dinner Suzette ate cobbler with whipped cream.  Later I made a cup of chai and ate a couple of squares of chocolate and served us each a sip of cognac.  I was able to find our favorite $19.95 cognac at Trader Joe’s, Claude chevalier VS the other day  so we are happily sipping cognac once again.

Bon Appetit     


No comments:

Post a Comment