Thursday, January 9, 2020

January 9, 2020 Lunch – Pate Salad. Dinner – Sautéed Pork, Onion, oregano, and Apple with steamed Asparagus and Sweet Potato

January 9, 2020 Lunch – Pate Salad. Dinner – Sautéed Pork, Onion, oregano, and Apple with steamed Asparagus and Sweet Potato

I have been feeling less pain in my legs lately since I have increased my exercise.  I decided to take shorter periods of exercise every day, if possible.

Long periods of exercise seem to be too tiring and counter productive, because they tire me out and tax my system, which causes me to need to rest for several days, so I have opted for shorter periods of moderate exercise.

Also, yesterday I received a good diagnosis from my eye doctor.  I still have near perfect vision and no signs of macular degeneration or blood vessel damage from diabetes to my eyes.

Instead of celebrating with a bing of eating I decided to live a more moderate life style,  try to eat healthy food, and exercise more often with more moderate exercise.

The way I describe it is rather than taking one step forward and two steps backward, I shall try to take ½ step forward more regularly.

I started my regime today with an awesome salad of gourmet greens, a diced tomato, ¼ of a cucumber sliced, a slice of pate that Jill made for me for Christmas, a handful of cracked green olives, slices of onion, and capers dressed with my homemade Caesar salad dressing that I refurbished with lemon juice and Spanish olive oil.


I watched the Market close at 2:00. All the three indices hit new all time highs with the Dow rising an impressive 211 points or .0075%.  My portfolio rose .0066%, which was wonderful.  I think it is up 17% over the last two years, with 2018 being a down 2% year.

I rode the 4 mile short circuit at 3:30 and drank a hot buttered rum upon my return and then went to meditate at 5:00.

Suzette was home when I returned at 6:15.  We had decided to make the Roasted Pork tapa from Jose Andres’ Tapa Cookbook with a shortcut that combined three steps into one long step.

Here is the recipe from the cookbook.




I sliced a Granny Smith apple and a yellow onion and then went to the garden to fetch six or seven sprigs of fresh baby oregano.

Suzette sautéed the onion and apple slices in a large skillet with butter and olive oil and then added six 1 ¼ inch  thick slices of pork tenderloin and covered the skillet with a wok cover so the ingredients would sweat together.  She then added Calvados to finish the dish.  I am not sure whether she added chicken stock. The result was a well integrated combination of pork with golden brown, slightly caramelized apple, and onion slices with a medium weight sauce.  The only problem with tonight’s recipe was Suzette overcooked the pork to the point of it being gray and tough instead of pink and tender.


 

Suzette also snapped about ten stalks of asparagus and cooked them with the two PPI sweet potato sections.

It was a lovely meal if one overlooked the overcooked  pork.  I poured glasses of the PPI Gruet Chenin Blanc.


After dinner I ate a piece of coffee cake Luke’s friend made for him for Christmas with a cup of tea.

We watched two PBS British mysteries and then went to bed.

I felt energized and stayed up until midnight to post this blog.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment