Monday, January 20, 2020

January 20, 2020 Lunch – Azuma. Dinner – Swedish Meatballs with Mashed Potatoes, cranberry Sauce, and Sautéed Zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper

January 20, 2020 Lunch – Azuma. Dinner – Swedish Meatballs with
Mashed Potatoes, cranberry Sauce, and Sautéed Zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper

Today I finally got back on a regular dining schedule.

For a biodynamic breakfast I ate a bowl of granola, yogurt, and tropical fruit salad.

I met Aaron at Azuma for lunch.  I ate my usual, Chirashi Donburi, which is 12 pieces of raw seafood on sushi rice with daikon pickles, seaweed salad and fresh shaved daikon for $14.95.  This is the best sushi deal in town and if you ask for an Azuma VIP card you will receive points toward future purchases of food equal to a 10% discount on future purchases.  Aaron ordered two rolls, a New Mexico roll and one other.




Aaron’ rolls

Both of us received a plate full of food.  I could only eat ½ of mine, so took the remaining half home.

I drank green tea with my lunch.  They serve green tea in actual Japanese water kettles with an insert to hold the green tea, so it is very authentic.

After lunch I went home and rode my bike four miles around the short loop with power and a good stretch in my legs and abdomen.

Suzette arrived shortly after I returned and finished my hot buttered rum and cookies.  We decided to eat an early dinner rather than nibble.  Suzette has thawed a bag of Swedish Meatballs we had made a few months ago, so we decided to cook them in a brown sauce and serve them with the PPI Mashed Potatoes from last night’s meal, the cranberry sauce Suzette made last week, and a sautéed vegetable medley containing onion, garlic, zucchini, and red bell pepper.

After I diced the vegetables Suzette took control of cooking.  She first sautéed the onion and red bell pepper in butter and olive oil.  She then added the zucchini and garlic.  In a separate skillet Suzette made a brown sauce with a roux made with butter and flour and then added beef stock made with a beef  to the roux to make the brown sauce.

Suzette replicated the traditional Swedish dish perfectly.  It was especially delicious with the fresh cranberry sauce.

Q
Willy came around 6:30 and joined us for dinner.  I opened the bottle of Trader Joe’s Reserve Syrah, which went very well with the meatballs.




I love the wines from Mendocino County.  The region is farther north and the cooler weather produces a softer smoother flavored wine usually.  This Syrah was no exception.

After dinner we watched the Antique Road Show and then the news.

I ate a slice of St. Andre cheese (Trader Joe’s) with the last ½ glass of Syrah and later we both ate a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce.

We went to bed at 8:45 after re-hanging the large Agnes Sims painted fabric piece.



 Suzette went to sleep and I blogged.

Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment