Sunday, January 12, 2020

January 11, 2020 Brunch – Bacon and Eggs and Cottage Fried Potatoes. Dinner – Mapo Dofu, Brown Rice, and Japanese Pickled Vegetables

January 11, 2020 Brunch – Bacon and Eggs and Cottage Fried Potatoes.  Dinner – Mapo Dofu, Brown Rice, and Japanese Pickled Vegetables

Today I had two client meetings and Suzette was interviewed on the radio for an hour program on how to remodel one’s house for accessibility.  Suzette and I made brunch at 10:00 before she left for her radio show.  We made Cottage fried potatoes with sliced potatoes left from Christmas, plus I diced ½ of a red onion and sliced 1 avocado.  Suzette also fried six slices of thick cut smoked bacon and I toasted a slice of sourdough sandwich bread.  After Suzette left to run a couple of errands before the interview at noon, Willy arrived at 10:30 to watch the Liverpool vl. Tottenham PL match, which Liverpool won 1 to 0.  It looks like Liverpool is the best soccer team in the world this year, having won every game it has played, except for two it has tied.

                                                                My breakfast

After Suzette returned and ate a bowl of avocado and crema with chips and a beer and I drank a hot chocolate coffee with rum, we drove to Trader Joe’s and Total Wine to replenish our wine and spirits.  At Trader Joe’s I bought a wedge of St. Andre cheese, a block of organic tofu, and a baguette and a case of wine and a bottle of cognac.  The wine included 6 bottles of 2011 Origen Gran Reservation from Terra Alta in Spain for $5.99, which I consider the best wine value in town.  In fact Vahl and Amy served it at their Christmas dinner, which made me happy because Vahl likes and knows good wine also. I also bought two Aquino Chianti Riserva  for $5.99 each, a Trader Joe’s 2018 Platinum Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon, a 2018 Pinot Grigio Della Venezie for $5.99, a La Granja Viura/Verdejo blend for $5.99, and a bottle of French apple cider for $4.99.

We then drove to Total Wine, which has exclusives on many vineyards’ and distillers’ productions and bought a 2018 Keilmermeister Privat and another Gruner Vitlander from Austria, two 2018 Falerio Saladini Pilastri Italian whites for $11.99 each, two Santiago Station Chilean Sauvignon Blancs for $4.99 each, and bottles of wine for Suzette’s restaurant plus a bottle of scotch for Suzette and a bottle of Largo Bay dark rum, plus a bottle Bernenroy XO Calvados for me. The XO Calvados is the best value in Calvados I have found in New Mexico.  It usually sells for 29.99 but today was on special for $26.99. Viola.

We returned home around 4:30  and I walked a 1/3 mile at 5:00 as I listened to the KUNM news streaming on my new Bluetooth earphones.

When I returned home around 5:30 I prepared a cup of brown rice with 3 cups of water plus some dried boletus mushrooms and Knorr dehydrated chicken stock and 1 cup of raw rice.

I then heated the Mapo Dofu I made last night with ½ lb. of Mexican chorizo, about 2/3 lb. of pork tenderloin, 1 onion and 1/2 ref bell pepper diced, 16 oz. of firm tofu, four rehydrated dried shiitake mushrooms and ½ oz. of shredded black wood ear, and 1 eggplant diced, plus 1 tsp. of chili paste.  Tonight I added about 2 T. each of Chinese cooking rice wine and water, because the dish had dried out in the fridge.  I covered the Mapo Dofu and let it simmer on low heat while the rice cooked on low heat for 45 minutes.

The rice

                                                                The Mapo Dofu

I loved this dinner with its high protein ingredients (tofu and meat) and chewy raw rice.

                                                                    My dinner

I then fetched the bowl of pickled vegetables from the fridge and Suzette fetched us beers and we served ourselves rice and Mapo Dofu and watched a funny movie about romance at an older age starring Candice Bergen, Diane Keaton, Mary Steenburgen, and Jane Fonda plus equally famous supporting actors including Richard Dreyfuss and Dick Shawn.

After dinner I ate five squares of milk chocolate with almonds.

We then watched an episode of Father Brown and I went to sleep during the episode of Death in Paradise that followed at 9:00.

I awakened at 3:15 to blog and returned to bed at 4:30.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment