Tuesday, January 28, 2020

January 27, 2020 Lunch – Beef Meatball and shrimp noodle soup. Dinner – PPI Lamb Stew with steamed Mexican squash and string beans

January 27, 2020 Lunch – Beef Meatball and shrimp noodle soup. Dinner – PPI Lamb Stew with steamed Mexican squash and string beans

I awakened at around 7:20,, just in time to see the deluge of selling in the Market.  By the close the results were awful.

Here is a part of the market report. US markets closed down sharply overnight. The Dow Jones Industrial Index fell 454 points. The 1.6% drop was its worst one-day percentage loss since October. The S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite lost 1.6% and 1.9%, respectively, also recording their worst performances in months. Some of the high flying tech names fell even more.  Apple fell almost 3%, for example.
European markets also slid Monday. Great Britain's benchmark FTSE 100 fell 2.3%, while Germany's DAX dropped 2.7%.
Because my portfolio is weighted heavily toward Nasdaq tech stocks it suffered about a 1.8% drop also. My worst day in a long time.

I ate a bowl of granola, yogurt, and tropical fruit salad for breakfast .

At 11:30 I made a pot of noodles, seaweed, Napa cabbage, red onion, broccoli, beef meatballs, shrimp, red Miso, dehydrated chicken broth, beef bouillon.  I seasoned the soup with lime juice, cilantro, hoisin sauce, sriracha, and green onions.


I forgot to add tofu, but will do so tomorrow because there is still ½ pot of soup.

After lunch I took our February 15 symphony tickets to Wayne and Elaine and went to the bank and the public library to pick up The Vagabonds by Guinn.

When I returned home I napped until Suzette called me around 4:15 to invite me to join her to go grocery shopping at Costco and Southwest Distributors.  Besides shopping for the Center we bought ground beef, tamales,, fresh green beans, a salmon fillet, and blueberries.

At Southwest Distributors we bought a large can of cooked red beans.

So we are ready to make Texas chili for the Super Bowl and Wednesday evening dinner of poached Salmon.

When we returned home I fetched the PPI lamb stew from the fridge and put it on low heat and snapped the green beans and sliced a Mexican Squash and started steaming the vegetables. Suzette added water to the stew as it had thickened.  I sliced a piece of whole wheat baguette into three horizontal slices and toasted them.  In about fifteen minutes dinner was ready.


I poured out the 1/3 bottle of Oregon Trail Winery Co. red blend left into two glasses and we ate a hearty meal.

Suzette made a vanilla ice cream sundae for dessert with a cognac. I had a cup of Earl Grey tea, a few chocolates, and a Calvados.

After watching Rachel Maddow’s coverage of the Impeachment hearings we went to bed at 9:00.

I woke up at 2:45 and blogged a bit and checked the markets.  I was happy to find out that the markets were firming up with the Dow futures standing at about plus 80+  points, although the Shanghai bourse was still closed for the Lunar New Year.

A thought came to me.  One of the main defenses advanced by the President’s lawyers is that the Democrats are simply trying to nullify the 2016 election because they hate Trump.  But that argument is illogical because impeachment by its very nature nullifies an election result, yet it exists as a check on the usurpation of political power or wrongdoing by a federal official, such as using one’s office for one’s personal gain instead of serving the public’s best interest.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment