Tuesday, January 14, 2020

January 14, 2020 Lunch – Miso Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup. Dinner – Pork and Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry with Couscous

January 14, 2020  Lunch – Miso Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup.  Dinner – Pork and Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry with Couscous

A pretty easy day.  I ate granola, yogurt, and tropical fruit salad for breakfast.


I worked until 11:30 when I made Miso Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup.

I heated about 1 ½ quarts of water in a sauce pan and flavored it with Knorr dehydrated beef broth and ½ of a packet of Pho seasoning.  I then added about ½ T. of dried seaweed, ½ shallot minced, ¼ lb. pork tenderloin, 4 oz. of firm tofu, three kinds of noodles (soba, Bean thread, and vegetarian wheat), a heaping T of red Miso, four leaves of Napa cabbage diced, and two mushrooms thinly sliced.  I let the soup cook for about 20 Minutes.  By the time all the ingredients were added the volume reached almost to the top of the 2 quart pot.
I filled a bowl with noodles and broth.  One of the issues with this form of cooking is that the noodles keep expanding, so it is necessary to re- fill the pot after each bowl is filled for the first two bowls or the noodles will absorb all the liquid, so there will be broth.

I rode my bike around the short loop at 4:00.

When I returned home I had my traditional hot buttered rum.  The nightly Business is no longer on PBS at 5:00, so I watched its replacement, Outside Sources, which is a BBC program that offers in depth analysis of four or five topics with the direct quotes from the persons who are the actors making the news.

Suzette came home around 5:30 and we watched the regular BBC news and then thePBS News Hour.

We decided to make a stir fry dish using five or six stalks of organic baby broccoli, the remaining pork tenderloin, and ½ of a red bell pepper, which needed to be cooked.

I also minced a two inch knob of ginger root, a small head of garlic, five Napa cabbage leaves, and two mushrooms.

I stir fried the meat first in peanut oil and 1 tsp. oil sesame oil and then removed the meat from the
wok.  I then stir fried all the vegetables except for the mushrooms and Napa cabbage.  Finally I added the mushrooms, sautéed pork, and cabbage and continued to stir fry all the ingredients for at least 20 minutes, part of which time I covered the wok.

                                                 The dish after the addition of the sauces

Suzette made a teriyaki sauce seasoning and chicken broth infused with 2 T. of cornstarch that we
stirred into the mixture.

We heated the PPI Couscous because the PPI rice was mixed into the PPI Mapo Dofu and we already
had a wok full of ingredients, which was more than we could eat.

We each ate a bowl full of Couscous covered with the Pork Stir Fry.


We both ate sugar roasted pecans after the meal.  I drank a cup of green tea with mine as we flipped back and forth from the Democratic debate.

Willy came over and watched some of the debate and ate some of the dinner.

We went to bed at 9:30; Suzette to sleep while blogged and read a bit.

Our New Year’s resolution is to get 8 hours of sleep each night.

Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment