Tuesday, January 7, 2020

January 6, 2020 Lunch – Noodle Soup with meat balls. Dinner – Hamburgers with Sautéed Onions and Mushrooms and Roasted Asparagus and tomato slices garnished with avocado slices

January 6, 2020 Lunch – Noodle Soup with meat balls. Dinner – Hamburgers with Sautéed Onions and Mushrooms and Roasted Asparagus and tomato slices garnished with avocado slices

Another interesting day in the Market.  The Dow started by going down 216 points but then began to recover and ended up up about 50 points.  I ended up having a good day with the Fang stocks, oil and gas stocks, and Salesforce leading the market higher.

At 10:00 I ate a bowl of granola, milk, blueberries, and yogurt.

At 12:30 I made Noodle Soup with three kinds of noodles, some handmade meatballs made with grown beef, some Vietnamese meatballs with tendon sliced, celery, a whisked egg, dehydrated beef broth, seaweed, sesame oil, and a little soy sauce.

I ate two bowls with hoisin sauce and a few drops of sriracha.

After lunch at around 2:45 I decided to make a loop, first to go shopping at Smith’s, then the bike shop, and finally the bank to deposit a couple of checks. When  I arrived  Smith’s I immediately went to the produce section to see what was offered at a discount.  I immediately saw beautiful thick full bodied asparagus for $2.99/lb. Although not on sale, I bought two lb. of these beauties. I saw bell peppers were on sale for $.88 each and picked up a lovely large yellow one.  I then saw at the back of the section a display with bags of produced priced at $.99 each for quick sale.  When I investigated the display I saw a bag filled with four red bell peppers for $.99 and a bag with 5 nice tomatoes for the same price, so I took those two bags.  After I put back the yellow bell pepper I looked at the white mushrooms and saw that the cheapest price was for a 1 lb. box of whole white mushrooms that cost $3.19, so I bought it and a bunch of green bananas for $.49/lb., which is their normal price, and are a fruit Suzette likes to eat for breakfast on the run.

Finally I wondered over to the egg section because Smith’s usually has good prices on eggs.  I saw that large 12 eggs were offered for $1.49 and 18 large eggs for $2.19. Since the 12 eggs were priced $.20 over $.10 each and the 18 eggs were priced at $.40 over $.10 each and that meant the premium over $.10 each for the 12 was less than the premium over the carton of 18 eggs, I purchased the carton with 12 eggs.  I like to shop because it is a lot like an SAT test.

When I returned home a bit after 4:00 I walked ½ mile.

When Suzette arrived around 5:30 we discussed dinner and decided to cook hamburgers in a skillet. At 6:30 Suzette Sautéed the Mushrooms and then roasted a bunch of asparagus with tomato slices, and formed and sautéed the hamburgers with onion and bell pepper slices in a skillet with three minced cloves of garlic.  I was thrilled that she created a menu that incorporated three of the fresh ingredients I had bought this afternoon.

The sautéed mushrooms 

                                            The roasted asparagus and tomato slices

The hamburgers topped with Manchego cheese slices and the sautéed peppers and onion



We had discussed drinking a Tempranillo red, so I went to the basement and found a bottle of 2006 Riscal Tempranillo.



When I poured it, it was delicious; fruity and yet restrained with a very smooth finish.  We loved it. I was amazed that I had cellared it for over ten years.  I love these little discoveries.  Cellaring makes a good wine even better to a point.  Guessing where that point is is tricky, but the one line services offer suggestions.  There are several examples in our cellar of bottles that should have been drum sooner, along with lots of wonderful surprises, like tonight’s 2006 Riscal Tempranillo.

We had eaten too many chocolates on the trip, so Suzette fetched us one chocolate covered cherry each for dessert.  After the chocolate I poured a small glass of Calvados and sipped it with a few candied pecans while we planned our trip to Oaxaca and my 50th Law school class reunion.  We decided to not go to Oaxaca for Easter this year because it would result in a fifteen day trip rather than a four day trip if we simply flew to Austin for the reunion and to see my buddy Dee.

We were tired after our first day back on the job, so we went to bed around 9:00, after we settled our travel plans and Suzette booked the flights..

Bon Appetit









No comments:

Post a Comment