Sunday, January 19, 2020

January 18, 2019 Lunch – a Foie Gras Salad. Dinner : Turkey Noodle Soup

January 18, 2019 Lunch – a Foie Gras Salad. Dinner : Turkey Noodle Soup

I ate the usual breakfast of tropical fruit salad, granola, milk, and yogurt.

I watched Sheffield Union beat Chelsea in the last 30 seconds of added time.  Then 12:30  I decided to make a salad.  I cut the leaves of one head of a gourmet small Romaine lettuce and added 1 ½ tomatoes diced, ¼ cucumber peeled, seeded, and sliced, cubed Iberico cheese, thinly sliced red onion, and the last two slices of the foie gras Jill made for me at Christmas.


I also thawed out a package of bratwursts.

At 3:30 Suzette returned from work and we walked about 2/3 mile, returning at 5:00.  Suzette was not hungry for dinner because she had eaten a bowl of turkey soup that we had thawed recently.  There was about 1 1/2 cups of turkey soup left so I decided to make turkey noodle soup.

I diced a carrot, ½ red onion, two stalks of celery, and five or six Napa cabbage leaves.

I filled a 2 quart sauce pan about ¾ full of water and added the mirepoix ingredients and the chopped cabbage and three bundles of wheat noodles and one bundle of bean thread noodles and a tsp. of dehydrated chicken stock to the pot.

That filled the pot, so I transferred the soup to a larger pot and added more water and a heaping T. of red Miso and the diced bratwurst.

I also added 2 T. of Amontillado sherry.

One of the things that one must consider when cooking noodles in a soup is that as the noodles cook they absorb liquid.  You will always need to add liquid.  I try to start with excess liquid and when I harvest the first bowl I add liquid and continue to simmer the pot, which will continue to cook the noodles.

I prefer to cook my noodles and vegetables 25 to 30 minutes initially. They ate still so dente at this point and will soften as they are cooked more. I usually simmer the noodles for up to an hour as I eat a second bowl of soup.  Then a day or two in the fridge you will find that the noodles will have absorbed more liquid and will need to add more water and red miso. I enjoy the noodles even after they have absorbed water fully and break into pieces because I can eat the soup with a soup spoon.



Suzette ate one bowl and I ate two and then put the noodles into the fridge.

After dinner Suzette drank a glass of her delicious limoncello and I drank a sip of the new Largo Bay rum we bought at Total Wine for $16.99 and a piece of chocolate.  We went to bed early and slept off the bad food reaction from Friday night’s dinner.  That is why I emphasized food that is clean and light.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment