Wednesday, May 8, 2019

May 6, 2019 Lunch – Hartford Square. Dinner – Mahi Mahi Baked in foil with broccoli fried rice

May 6, 2019 Lunch – Hartford Square. Dinner – Mahi Mahi Baked in foil with broccoli fried rice

If less is more then today was the day that proves it.  But I think some days less is simply less.

 Started with a bowl of tropical fruit salad, yogurt, and granola at 7:45.

By 10:30 I was hungry, so I toasted a slice of whole wheat bagel and smeared it with cream cheese and lay slices of thinly sliced onion and Gravad Lax on it and drank a cup of chai with it.

I met with Lynn at skittish at 11:15 and we went t lunch at 12:30.  We walked to Anatolia and it had closed.  We then walked to Brexins but it is closed on Mondays.  Lynn said, “I know a place.  Third time is a charm.” We walked back to Gold Street to Hartford Square that occupies the location previously occupied by Gold Street Café.  It was open. I studied the menu looking for something interesting that was not a sandwich or salad and finally settled on a Lamb meatball entrée for $9.00.  Lynn chose an egg salad sandwich on fresh gluten free bread.

We took a table on the sidewalk.  After what seemed like a really long time our lunches were served.  My lunch was three meatballs drizzled with a lemon sauce on a small plate garnished with two spinach leaves and a slice of lemon.


Lynn was served two egg salad sandwiches because according to the waitress, “The gluten bread slices were on the small side.”

 Lynn’s small plate was also not garnished with even a spinach leaf. Lynn took pity on me and gave me ½ of one of her sandwiches.  The egg salad was delicious and there was a generous amount of organic lettuce in the sandwich and the slices of bread were smeared with a red bell pepper spread.  A very delicious sandwich.

Lynn’s Egg Salad sandwich


I enjoyed my lamb meatballs but would have like a slice of bread.  Perhaps bread was available if asked for.  I would have enjoyed a meatball sandwich.

When I think of the feasts one can get at a good Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant for $8.00 or $9.00, I felt cheated being served three medium meatballs for $9.00.

After we ate we walked back to 8th to my car and Lynn’s apartment and I returned home.

I called Tahir and immediately drove to Donut Mart near the corner of Montgomery and Jefferson a bit after 2:00.  After I met with Tahir he gave me 6 bagels and cream cheese.  I the drove to
Albertsons across the street at the corner of Montgomery and San Mateo and bought 10 lb. of chicken
 leg quarters for $3.70 and two 1.5 quart containers of Breyer ice cream for $5.00. Fabulous values.

Then I continued south on San Mateo to Sprouts Farm Market at the corner of Lomas where I bought a 1.3 lb. Mahi Mahi filet for $4.99/lb., five Italian Sweet sausages for $2.99/lb., green beans, milk, granola for $2.99/lb., 6 ears of white corn for $1.00, and a 2 liter can of organic Sprouts Spanish olive oil or $10.99.

I returned home happy with my purchases at 4:30.

I watched the news until Suzette came home at around 5:15.

I called Willy to invite him to dinner and he said he would be over in an hour.
We decided to bake the Mahi Mahi in foil with vegetables at 6:00.  I began chopping and slicing a Roma tomato, mushrooms 2 radishes.  Suzette used the vegetable peeler to make strips of carrot and zucchini.  She constructed a pile of fish and vegetables and lay them on lemon slices laid on two sheets of aluminum foil and added bits of butter and doused the pile with rose wine and crimped the aluminum foil into an inner and outer envelope and baked the packets on the grill for thirty minutes.

 
The pile of fish and ingredients on the sheets of aluminum foil

Suzette also sautéed PPI rice and finely diced fresh broccoli.

When I suggested adding sliced almonds to the rice and broccoli, Suzette said, “No, Less is more.”

So two times today I was confronted by less is more and it was an uncomfortable experience both times.

When Willy arrived I fetched a bottle of 2014 Santiago Station Sauvignon Blanc from the Mendoza Valley in Argentina and poured and iced three glasses.

Suzette laid scoops of rice and broccoli and each packet in a large plate .  Each of us slid the contents within our packet out next to the pile of rice and broccoli.

The packet and pile of fried rice on the plate

                                          The packet of fish and ingredients slid onto the plate

We noticed immediately a bitterness in the fish dish.  We all agreed that the lemon Suzette used for the slices she lay under the fish as the base for her pile of ingredients must have been bitter.  Suzette decided the quickest way to handle the problem was to add honey to the dish.  We drizzled honey onto the fish dish, which neutralized the bitter flavor.

We did not count this among our better meals but everyone agreed that the form texture of the fish was very pleasant.

Willy left after dinner and Suzette and I each ate a bowl of spumoni ice cream for dessert.

I also had a couple of cups of tea, but still had a restless night’s sleep and slept until 8:30, which is highly unusual.

Bon Appetit









No comments:

Post a Comment