Wednesday, May 22, 2019

May 22, 2019 Lunch – Church Street Café. Dinner – Shrimp Scampi over Spaghetti

May 22, 2019 Lunch – Church Street Café. Dinner – Shrimp Scampi over Spaghetti

I am getting busier and busier. I got free from my hearing this morning, worked on the draft of a letter for a new client and at noon called a Marie to suggest meeting her for lunch to review her lease.  I met her at Church Street Café.  She offered me lunch and I ordered a Vegetarian Chile Relleno plate with two large rellenos topped with and filled with cheese with sides of spinach and beans on the side and red Chile on the side.   I was talking and failed to take a picture but it was more than I could eat. A huge platter filled with food.  Enough for the hungriest of vegetarians.

I worked until 4:30 when Suzette and I took a nap.  When I awakened at 6:00 Suzette was already making Shrimp Scampi.  She had gone to the garden and picked garlic chives and chopped onion, mushrooms, garlic garlic chives, and asparagus which she then sautéed in butter in a large skillet.  She then added white wine and shelled shrimp to the skillet and sautéed them several minutes.

In a separate pot Suzette cooked Italian Spaghetti from Costco.

When both were cooked she plated first a pile of spaghetti and then covered the Spaghetti with the shrimp Scampi mixture and then grated Pecorino-Romano cheese on top.



Suzette poured us each a glass of 2017 Gruet Rose for each of us and we had a great dinner.

The shrimp were exceedingly tender.  Suzette’s comment, “They are good shrimp.”  I was surprised because these were 16-20/lb. shrimp we bought at Sprouts for 4.99/lb.  the cheapest ever.

The wine was also surprising. It had a crispness and character that I had not discerned before.  I really like. It reminded me of the La Nerthe rose we drank on Sunday at Museum Hill Café. Bright, fruity, with a good acid balance. The bottle says proudly produced in New Mexico but the wine is saying I was produced by a French wine maker.  I have lost much of the compulsion I usually feel to search for a better Rose now that we have a really good French style 100% Pinot Noir rose locally available.

It reminds me of a trip we took to France.  We went to a Market in a town Southeast of Avignon.  We had been studying a guidebook for shopping in France that suggested several brands of olive oil. I stopped at an olive oil and olive merchant’s table where I did not see the suggested brand and asked if they sold the suggested brand, the merchant answered, “No, monsiuer we sell only the local brands.”

And why not buy the local when the local brand is the freshest and you know who and how it was made.


A surprisingly good meal.

Afterwards We each drank a glass of limoncello and ate a bowl of ice cream for dessert.

I worked and Suzette soaked in the hot tub and we went to bed at 10:00.

Trump is beginning to lose his effort to stop the disclosure of his financial records and redacted portions of the Mueller Report to Congress.  Things are going to get interesting sooner rather than later.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment