Thursday, May 16, 2019

May 16, 2019 Lunch – Salad and Soup. Dinner – Mapo Dofu and Pickled Vegetables

May 16, 2019 Lunch – Salad and Soup. Dinner – Mapo Dofu and Pickled Vegetables

I decided to try to use two PPIs for breakfast, egg whites and country fried potatoes.  I sectioned about three oz. of country fried potato slices and sliced about 1 oz. of onion, and about ½ oz. of garlic chives and sautéed them for a few minutes and added a patty of sausage to the skillet and turned the potato sections to brown them.  Then I sectioned and added a stalk of asparagus  and then poured four egg whites into the skillet while filled the skillet and covered the ingredients except for the sausage.

I sliced ½ bagel in half, toasted it and smeared the toasted bagel with cream cheese.

After a few minutes I flipped the whole affair and cooked the other side.  I slid the cooked affair onto a plate for a lovely breakfast.

My egg and vegetable pancake with sausage and a bagel.

For lunch I decided to try to eat some of the PPI Vichyssoise and a salad.

I went to the garden and picked a basket of lettuce, which I washed and spun and put in a pasta bowl.  I then added a diced tomato, cooked green beans, a sliced Persian cucumber, two sliced green onions, and refreshed the salad dressing with olive oil and juice of ½ lemon and drizzled dressing on the salad.

Loyda was here cleaning and I offered her a bowl of Vichyssoise.  So I filled two soup bowls with soup and toasted the ½ of the half of bagel and ate a lovely salad and soup for lunch.  Loyda commented that she had never eaten a Vichyssoise and then said, “I had never eaten a cold soup.”  I showed her the recipe that I used in Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.  Leek and potato soup is the first recipe in the cookbook and is arguably the easiest recipe: 3 ½ cups of leeks, 4 cups of thinly sliced potatoes plus 1 T. of salt cooked partially cooked in 2quarts of water for 40 to 60 minutes.  Then puréed and enriched with 6 T. To 1 cup of heavy cream.  Done.

After lunch I halved the six remaining Persian cucumbers and stuffed them into the dill pickle jar.  It filled the jar but there was just enough room to stuff in the four or five tops of the dill plants going to seed in the garden.  This weekend we will plan a picnic with fresh dill pickles, probably deviled eggs, and perhaps chicken salad.

It was another strong day in the market except for companies that sell into the Chinese market, like Qualcomm.  I made a profitable was happy.  At 3:15 I lay down and soon fell asleep until 4:30 when
Suzette announced her arrival.

She had her cocktail and then went to the candy store to supervise Sergio, who we hired to cut and clear the weeds in the back yard and side of the property.

When we returned home at 6:00 Suzette announced that she was hungry and fetched the wok full of Mapo Dofu from the garage fridge.  I fetched the bowl of pickled vegetables I had made yesterday and Suzette heated the PPI rice and we ate a hardy dinner.  Oddly we drank Italian Pinot Grigio with dinner.  The cold fruity lightly acidic wine was really delicious with the heavy sauce and eggplant, onion, sausage, garlic and ginger in the Mapo Dofu with the pickled vegetables.

The Mapo Dofu Cooking in the wok

                                                        Tonight on rice

The pickled vegetables 


The Pinot Grigio 


I picked a few rose and filled a couple of vases and we watched some news  and a wonderful documentary on the Mona Lisa.  Surprise, Leonardo painted two copies.  One in 1503 that took him four years to paint and the Louvre one that everyone has seen in 1514 or 1517. The first one is of the same sitter as a younger woman than the later one.

Bon Appetit











No comments:

Post a Comment