Friday, May 17, 2019

May 17, 2019 Lunch – Lindy’s. Dinner – Enchiladas and tamale and Picnic dinner at Plaza.

May 17, 2019 Lunch – Lindy’s. Dinner – Enchiladas and tamale and Picnic dinner at Plaza.

I went back to my favorite breakfast of granola, tropical fruit salad and milk.  There was no yogurt.

I called Bill Turner to invite him to lunch and went to his office at noon.  We walked to Hanna Sushi but it was full with a line, so we walked east on Central toward Brixens.  When we arrived at 5th. Bill mentioned Lindy’s across the street.  I sad it had been years since I ate there.  Bill knew the owner, Nick’s son Steve, so decided on the spot to try it.

We walked in and walked back to the kitchen and Bill introduced me to Steve who was cooking in the kitchen and we found an empty table.  Steve’s wife was our waitress.  She handed us menus.  The choices were fairly extensive.  I finally decided to order a Cobb Salad.  We talked it seemed like a long time as others were served their lunches.  Finally we were served plates mounded with layers of a gourmet lettuce assortment, large chunks of crisp bacon, crumbled blue cheese, and on top a whole grilled sliced chicken breast surrounded by cucumber slices, wedges of tomato and two halves of a hard boiled egg.  This was like no Cobb Salad I had ever seen.  Instead of a large salad bowl with sections of each item, this was a pile of ingredients pile up into a mountain of salad.  On a side plate was a buttered and toasted piece of Texas Toast and a small bowl of blue cheese salad dressing.








This the kind and quantity of salad I often make for my lunch at home, except I never grill a whole chicken breast.  This was a great salad for $8.95.  Bill had ordered the same thing.

We both ordered waters.

We ate and talked for 1 ½ hours about all sorts of things, mostly legal and water related, while we nibbled our salads.  I really enjoyed my salad and ate the whole salad.  Steve is Greek, so next time I may order the Greek Salad.  My first impression of Lindy’s that it provides generous portions of good ingredients at reasonable prices.  I will definitely return.

After lunch we returned to Bill’s office and talked until almost 3:00.

I went home and checked the Market. Today was a down day but not a disaster.

At 4:15 Suzette arrived and I lay down until 5:30 for a nap.  When I awoke I was hungry.  I heated the last tamale and piece of enchiladas and fetched a beer from the garage fridge.  We then put together a picnic dinner.  Suzette made egg salad with diced tomatoes. Instead of celery used lovage and she nestled the salad in a plastic container inside four wedges of avocado. I packed slices of freshly made dill pickles and fetched a chilled bottle of A to Z Winery Pinot Gris, which Suzette poured into a thermos with a few cubes of ice and filled a small plastic container with tropical fruit salad.  We drove to Old Town and parked near the building at the corner of Mountain and Rio Grande and walked to the Plaza.  When we arrived Traci Whiney was already singing.  We really enjoyed her.  She was a Rayette and has a wonderful voice.  We shared bites of egg salad and avocado and sips of
wine and nibbled on pickles, which were perfectly pickled after one day in the brine.  The A to Z
Pinot Gris has a musty aftertaste that was unpleasant.  We decided we did not like it, especially at
$12.99 at a Trader Joe’s.


The pickles


The wind was blowing hard and it was cooling rapidly so after the first set at 8:30 we left and walked to the building.  We cut some weeds and then went home.

When we arrived home I made a cup of hot chocolate and the ate a bowl of ice cream both with shots of rum.

A little after 9:00 I read the Moonstone and then dozed off until Suzette came to bed.  We remade the bed by shaking and flipping the feather mattress and went to bed.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment