Friday, May 24, 2019

May 24, 2019 Lunch – Le Bistro. Dinner – Grilled Steak, Asparagus , and French Radishes with Baked Potato

May 24, 2019 Lunch – Le Bistro. Dinner – Grilled Steak, Asparagus , and French Radishes with Baked Potato

Food was back at the top of the agenda today.  I met James at is office and we walked next door to Le Bistro Vietnamese restaurant at 1309 San Pedro. James always orders curried chicken. This was my first visit to Le Bistro so I ordered a dish I am familiar with and like Bun Cha Gio with grilled Pork.  Here are the pictures.




James let me try his catty and it was really spicy with lots of chili skins and seeds.  I could not eat.  I discovered that James was a hot food aficionado.  Then I tried my dish that was rather sweet.  But I noticed that the flavors in the dish were deeply penetrating into the meat, which I liked a lot.  We could only eat ½ offer dishes, so we boxed the rest and took it home.  I liked El Bistro and will go back.

After lunch my route home took me by the Smith’s in Fair Plaza, dapsone I stopped to see if they had the $4.99/lb. rib steaks  and the did.  I had.to wait about twenty minutes  for the butcher to cut and wrap ten 1 ¼ inch thick steaks, but it was worth the wait.  They were beautiful USDA Choice steaks.
I also bought three fresh salmon filets for 6.99/lb., 18 large eggs for $.99, and five packages of Keebler cookies for $.99 each and two 19 oz. packages of Johnsonvilke sausages for $3.50 each.  I was proud of my shopping.

I read a case when I got home and at 4:14 rode to Montano for the second time this year.

I arrived home at the moment Suzette arrived.  I had left out one two pack of steaks so we could grill one for dinner.  I wanted a baked potato.  Suzette helped me wash and pierce the skin of each of about ten mostly small Yukon Gold potatoes and we put them into the oven to bake for an hour at 375 degrees on a convection setting.

I went to the garden and picked six or seven stalks of chives.

Suzette went to the garden and pulled a handful of French radishes and a handful of fresh mint and snapped the tough ends off a bunch of thick asparagus and toss them both in a bag with olive oil. I finely minced the chives and mint and put it in a bowl. She then grilled the asparagus, radishes, and steak on the grill.  The grill caught on fire and charred the vegetables but the steak was cooked perfectly to medium rare.  I went to the cup basement and fetched a bottle of De Ponte 2016 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir.  I love this wine because it is so smooth it’s an elegant finish.

I sliced the steak and poured glasses of wine while Suzette cut open a potato for each of us and lay a slice of butter, a spoonful of crema, and a handful of the chive/mint mixture in each. Potato.  We garnished our steak and asparagus with Béarnaise Sauce and carried our plates and glasses to the garden and ate a lovely meal in the cool evening.


Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment