Saturday, April 20, 2019

April 19, 2019 A Big Food Day Breakfast – Bacon, Fried Potatoes, and Eggs. Lunch – Blue Corn Enchiladas at Padilla’s. Dinner – Buddi’s 80th BD celebration

April 19, 2019 A Big Food Day  Breakfast – Bacon, Fried Potatoes, and Eggs.  Lunch – Blue Corn Enchiladas at Padilla’s. Dinner – Buddi’s 80th BD celebration

I have a genetic condition named Caratine Parmytile qTransferase Deficiency. It is the lack of an enzyme in sufficient quantity to move fat into the mitochondrion in my muscles to convert fat into energy when my muscles are being stressed.  The result is my muscles fatigue and then consume themselves.  I turn into a zombie barely able to move for lack of energy.

Sometimes extreme events trigger the condition, lack of food or sleep, or fever or physical exertion.  When one of these events occurs it seems I have instinctively learned to compensate by eating more protein and sweets or sugar creating foods such as carbohydrates to help rebuild my muscles and provide more sugar.

Yesterday a minor but stressing experience occurred.  My bike threw its chain on Tingley Dr. at rush hour.  I was in the bike lane, which is only 2- 3 feet wide and there was not enough room to lower the bike so I could un-startle the seat without catching my leg on the seat as I swung my leg across the bike and I fell onto the pavement while standing by the side of the road.  Luckily a pickup truck with two burly tattooed young men pulled their truck over behind me and blocked the bike lane so I was shielded from oncoming traffic.  They came to my aid and helped put the chain back on the gear cog and I was able to  continue my ride.  I am at that awkward stage where I gain strength and flexibility every time I ride my bike, but I have not recovered all of my former strength and agility.  I landed on my butt and no skin was broken, only a couple of bruises.  But my body must have reacted because today I awakened seeking protein and carbs.  I sautéed potato and onion slices and two strips of bacon and fried two eggs for breakfast.  I toasted three corn tortillas and lay the food on them and doused the tortillas with hot sauce as I ate.


Then I went to the funeral of Nizar Kassam’s wife, who I call Mary.  It was the first Muslim funeral I have ever attended.  It was steeped in tradition with the chanting of prayers and a walk by the open coffin by every person in the audience, some on walkers and canes.  Then after sealing the coffin there was a traditional carrying of the coffin to the limousine to take her to the cemetery with only men in attendance to say more prayers for her.

I went to Trader Joe’s on Paseo instead of going to the cemetery and bought two bottles each of a Grand Reserve Pinot Noir from the Santa Lucia Valley for $12.95 each that Barb, the wine person recommended.

I also bought an 8 oz. box of chocolate truffles, a lovely ciabatta baguette for $1.99, 18 oz. of

blueberries for $6.99, a liter of Spanish olive oil for $7.99, and two bottles of Petit Reserve Pinot Gris from the Willamette Valley for $5.99, which may turn out to be the Best Buy of the day. When I asked Barb for the Platinum Reserve Pinot noir, she said, “Those are long gone.  We have folks around here who buy every bottle of Platinum Reserve, regardless of the grape.”

So when I returned to the car I called the Trader Joe’s on Indian School and asked how many bottles they had.  The man I talked to said, “11”; so I asked him to put back 6 bottles.  I drove directly there. It was even more packed than the Paseo store with Easter shoppers.  After I bought 6 Platinum Reserve Pinot Noirs for $14.99 each, it was 12:30 so I decided to stop at Padilla’s on the way home to eat lunch.  Even though I was not super hungry, I somehow knew I needed to eat some food.  Today instead of chile rellenos, I chose blue corn enchiladas with ground beef and double beans ($9.50).  I did not finish the two tortilla stacked enchiladas with lots of red Chile and cheese, so I boxed them and ate 1 1/3 sopapillas with lots of honey.




I then returned home around 2:00.  I put up the wine and groceries and had to lie down because I felt a wave of tiredness.

I slept until Scott called and Suzette came home at 4:30.  I dressed for Buddi’s party and at 6:00 we drove to Indian School and Tramway to an event center named The View.  Buddy had arranged a big party to celebrate her 80th BD.  She had asked everyone to make and bring their favorite dessert.  There were event entertainers and lots of food.  On one side of the large room was a bar and tables where the desserts and the appetizers were, Including jalapeño halves Stuffed with Cream cheese and wrapped with bacon and sautéed until the bacon became crisp. There was a large meat and cheese platter.  Suzette and I took slices of prosciutto and Brie and salami and crackers and glasses of red wine from the bar and glasses of water.  We sat beside a lovely couple with whom we enjoyed talking.

When the entrees were served, we went through the buffet line.  There was a salad tables with lots of ingredients like Souper Salad but smaller quantities.  I took salad, cranberries, sliced mushrooms, diced tomato and red onion, bacon crumbles, croutons, blue cheese, carrot threads, black olive slices, and garbanzo beans.

There were two additional tables filled with hot dishes, including mashed potatoes, a sautéed vegetable medley, roast whole tenderloin, baked tilapia, Chile Mac and cheese, and brown gravy.

I took a second plate because I had filled my first plate with salad and took a spoonful of the vegetable medley of mostly sautéed zucchini and yellow squash slices and baby carrots.  Then a chef cut me an inch thick slice of beef tenderloin booked to medium.

Suzette had gotten us a second glass of red wine, some kind of merlot blend, a bit musty like many cheaper blends.

We ate and talked to our new friends Millie and Ron.  Ron was amazingly slim and fit for an older person.  He hikes and they have an RV that they drive around to campgrounds in natural settings.  They also have Airedales, including a puppy, which prompted them to leave the party soon after they finished dinner at 7:45.

We followed suit at 8:00 after talking to Buddi for a couple of minutes.

An old neighbor, Gwen Poe came over to say hello during the party.

When we got home we switched between watching Lawrence O’Donnell and Flea Market Flip, which Suzette considers relaxing.  It must be because she fell asleep while watching it.  But she had had a super busy day without any nap, as I had.

I made two cups of chai and then we went to bed at 10:00.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment