Saturday, April 13, 2019

April 12, 2019 Lunch -PPI Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup. Dinner – u at Marble Brewery

April 12, 2019 Lunch -PPI Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup. Dinner – u at Marble Brewery

Another busy day, but interesting.  It started at 4:00 when I decided to research “alter ego” and “piercing the corporate veil” and found a case exactly on point to the case I am drafting a complaint on. I was very happy.  The research gods must be smiling on me.

I went back to sleep at 5:30 and slept until 7:15.  I showered and dressed and watched the market activity until 8:15.  It was a fantastic day in the Market.  Mother had given Billy and me shares in Pioneer Natural Resources (PXD) and I had bought 100 shares of Disney when the kids were young, I think because you could get an upgrade in park attendance benefits.  Anyway, about six months ago when Disney announced it was going to buy some Fox assets including Hulu and Marvel comics characters I saw the writing on the wall, that Disney had the potential to create its own internet programming provider through Hulu or otherwise and I bought 200 more shares of a Disney at $107.  Well today was the day Disney announced that it was initiating its own direct to consumers internet channel to directly compete with Netflix, et al.  Disney shares had been trending upward lately after Disney announced that it would hold a special investors’ meeting on April 11 on speculation of what might be announced to around $116. With today’s announcements it went up $13.48 to end the day at $130, a daily gain of $4000.

PXD’s breakout was probably due to three factors, the recent rise in crude oil prices (crude oil was trading at $63.76 today), the fact that the cost of production and delivery to markets from the Permian Basin in West Texas and Eastern NM is the cheapest in the US, and the fact that most of PXD’s production is in the Permian.  Mother gave me 342 shares and PXD ended the day up $17.40 for a daily gain of $5,950.

These are once in a lifetime events.  To have two on the same day was fantastic.

God bless Mom and the kids.

The Market responded favorably to the news and went up 1% today as did my portfolio, so overall it was a good day in the Market.

I have been taking fish oil supplement for the last week since I discovered that my joints hurt less when I ate more Gravad Lax (salt and sugar cured salmon).  This morning I toasted two slices of a plain whole wheat bagel, smeared them with Neufchâtel, and garnished them with onion slices and four slices of Gravad Lax and capers.


I worked on the complaint for the new case until 1:30 and then heated the PPI Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup I made yesterday and added five more shrimp and five chicken mini-wontons and two fried fish balls to increase the meat component and heated the soup to a boil.  As I ate I peeled the shrimp adding the toomely to the soup to flavor it and then peeled the shrimp and dipped the shrimp into a combination of hoisin and sriracha to give them added flavor and drank green tea with lunch.


This morning we discussed dinner before Suzette left because we planned to go to Marble Brewery to hear Engine play at 7:00.  We settled on making BBQ Pork Poorboy Sandwiches, so Suzette fetched the container of BBQ Pork from the garage and put it in the sink to thaw.  After lunch I put the thawed pork into the fridge.

Suzette came home at 5:00 and while I worked to finish the complaint, she toasted four slices of French baguette and lay slices of Jarlsberg cheese on the bread and then some heated pork and
toasted the open face sandwiches in the oven.  Here is a picture of them before we wedded two sides and wrapped the two sandwiches in aluminum foil.


I finished at 5:30 and helped put a handful of dill pickles into a sealable sandwich bag.  I also put four dried figs and four mandarin oranges into the small shopping bag with the sandwiches and at 6:00 we drove to the 208 Gallery on Broadway for John Mulvaney’s one man exhibit.  We liked John’s highly linear and chromatic paintings, but ended up talking to Cynthia McCresson and Dan Peebles about photography and their planned trip to Gigondas wine region in the Northern Rhône and our respective Mexican travels.

At 7:00 we drove to Marble.  It was crowded but we walked in and found a seat at the front table in front of the stage.  Those who came a few minutes later were not so lucky and had to wait on the sidewalk until some folks left.

We said hello to Cynthia and Ricardo and their friends and the two young women sitting next to us.  I ordered a Wildflower Wheat beer and Suzette ordered an ale.  Marble makes at least a dozen beers, all different and all delicious.  When I went with Max a week ago he drank a coffee and caramel flavored beer he enjoyed very much.

We enjoyed the BBQ Pork Poorboy Sandwiches with the beer and pickles and gave pickles to the two women who loved them, especially when we told them that made them with garlic and dill from our garden. I shared with them our blog and they said they would read it.


The reason why we went to Marble this evening was to hear Engine, a London based band with mostly Argentinian members, that Suzette had heard on March 29. I really liked them.  They play an upbeat fusion of Argentinian folk music  and jazz that is very popular now and very cosmopolitan.  Suzette loved it, but I found it a bit cacophonous.  The next band I liked better because they played mostly cumbia.



 We left at 8:30 after a pleasant dinner and evening of music when more people were admitted and the area around us became too crowded for Suzette.

When we returned home we ate bowls of ice cream and Suzette had a cognac.

Then we soaked in the hot tub for a while and went to bed around 10:00 after a very pleasant day.

Bon Appetit







No comments:

Post a Comment