Thursday, April 4, 2019

April 3, 2019 Lunch – PPI Poached Salmon in Cream sauce on sushi rice. Dinner – Rockfish filets Grilled in Foil

April 3, 2019 Lunch – PPI Poached Salmon in Cream sauce on sushi rice. Dinner – Rockfish filets Grilled in Foil

A very odd day of food. It started with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice at 8:00.

I had a 1:00 meeting that lasted until 3:30 after which I ate a few bites of the re-heated PPI Poached Salmon in Cream sauce on sushi rice, but did not have much appetite after two days of gorging on Chinese food.

The salmon in cream sauce and sushi rice
Suzette came home at 5:30 and worked in the yard for an hour while I worked.  I then chopped a Roma tomato, about 1 oz. of red onion, and ¼ of a poblano pepper into strips and thinly sliced carrot rounds and de-stemmed about 2 T. of cilantro leaves.

Then I refreshed the artichoke dipping sauce by adding lemon juice and olive oil and ate the remaining grilled artichoke from last night’s hamburger dinner being sure to leave Suzette the artichoke heart, which is the only part of the artichoke she really likes, and watched the news.

The refreshed sauce today

                                           The grilled artichoke halves and sauce yesterday

When Suzette was ready to cook she cut each of the two Rockfish filets in half and then stacked the ingredients in a column on a piece of aluminum foil and then added lemon juice, white wine, and pads of butter after she crimped the side edges of the foil to envelop the ingredients.  She then crimped the top of the first envelope closed to seal the ingredients inside the envelope and then enclosed the first envelope in another envelope of crimped aluminum foil to completely seal in all liquids and grilled the envelopes on the grill for thirty minutes.  I toasted slices of French bread and

buttered them for dipping into the sauce formed in the bottom of the envelope when the cooking juices of the ingredients  mixed with the added liquids. I then went to the basement and fetched a bottle of 2016 Belles Vignes French Sauvignon Blanc bought for $4.99 at Trader Joe’s.  I have drunk many bottles of this wine and found it to be a near perfect food wine because it does not have a lot of fruitiness like California S.B.s or lots of grapefruit citrus flavor like New Zealand S.B.s. I guess I would say it is neutral, which does not conflict with any food flavors, such as the delicate vegetable and fish flavors in this baked dish.

                                            The stack of ingredients before crimping


The finished dish unwrapped 






After dinner we were still hungry so I made
Bananas Foster

I sliced two bananas in half and placed them into a small skillet with 2 T. of butter.  As soon as the butter melted I sprinkled 2 T. of brown sugar onto the bananas and tried to work the sugar into solution.  I cooked the bananas about five minutes per side in the sugar solution.  Then I added about ¼ cup of spiced rum and about 1 T. of Kahlua to the bananas and stirred the sauce slightly to integrate the spirits  and cooked the bananas and sauce for another minute or two.  By this time the bananas were soft and had turned from white to slightly translucent and were cooked.

I then scooped Blue Bell vanilla ice cream into two bowls and poured one-half of the bananas and sauce into each bowl. Voila, a great dessert that got rid of two slightly blackened bananas and filled our stomachs.  We love this dessert, fruit, rum, ice cream. What could be better.

After dessert we watched The Last Word to catch up on the latest political news. Then Suzette soaked in the hot tub and I worked at my desk.

Another good day in the Market.

I have taken a fish oil capsule every day for the last three days and I am feeling less pain in my joints, also.  I have also been drinking a glass of lemon water or, today, a glass of fresh orange juice.  I have always liked food therapy more than medication therapy.

We went to bed around 9:30.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment