Wednesday, April 3, 2019

April 2, 2019 Lunch – Buffet King. Dinner – Sautéed Hamburger Steaks with Sliced Mushrooms and Red Onion and Cottage Fried Potatoes

April 2, 2019 Lunch – Buffet King.  Dinner – Sautéed Hamburger Steaks with Sliced Mushrooms and Red Onion and Cottage Fried Potatoes

I slept until 7:30 today. I showered and dressed and ate granola, tropical fruit salad, and yogurt.  Then listened from 9:00 until 2:00 to the hearing in the Texas vs, N.M before the special master.

Mike called during the hearing and we agreed to go to lunch.  At 2:00 I called Mike back and when he said, “I want a high protein lunch, Let’s go to Taj Mahal,” I suggested we try Buffet King for two reasons.

I wanted to see what the after 2:00 discounted price was and I wanted to see if Buffet King served the same menu during the discounted meal period, specifically the steamed fresh Manila clams.

The answer was yes to both questions.  Today I only took three plates of food and two cups of soup, no sushi.  I combined the Manila clams into the wonton soup and tried but failed to add some hot and sour soup without chocking on the red pepper.  It seems like later in the day the red pepper permeates the broth more.

After lunch I drove across the street to Sprouts to buy blueberries for $.88 per 6 oz. plastic clamshell.  I bought four boxes to make Clafoutis.  I also bought a 2 ½ to 3 lb. package of 80% ground beef for $2.49/lb., two huge Artichokes foe $3.00, green beans for $.98/lb., apple cider vinegar, and two filets of fresh rockfish at $7.99/lb.

When I returned home after a stop at the post office it was 4:30.  I made a limeade and cut the stalks off the Artichokes and clipped the thorny edges from their leaves with a scissors and simmered them in a large pot of water and sat down to watch the business news show but fell asleep until Suzette came home around 6:00.

She was hungry and we decided to make hamburger steaks with the fresh ground beef.  Suzette sliced potatoes in the Cuisinart and fried some in a big skillet with butter and olive oil.  I went to the basement to get a box of freezer bags so we could bag the remaining potatoes.  I found the box of one gallon freezer bags and then searched the wine cellar for a wine.  I found four or five bottles of 2013 Murphy Goode Pinot Noir and grabbed one for dinner.

Suzette was thrilled when I returned with the bottle of Pinot. She had sliced mushrooms while I sliced thin slices of red onion and added them to the other skillet in which she was sautéing the hamburgers and mushrooms.  I turned the mushrooms to cost them with oil and to place them in contact with the surface of the skillet.

I sliced one of the Artichokes in half and Suzette grilled the two halves on the propane grill outside to char them a bit.  I also reconstituted the mignonette sauce from last Friday’s dinner by squeezing juice of ¼ lemon and stirring in 2or 3 T. of mayo to make a killer artichoke dipping sauce.

Suzette added slices of Manchego cheese to melt on top of the hamburgers after she flipped them.  I opened the wine and fetched glasses and poured the wine while Suzette plated dinner by laying two leaves of red leaf lettuce on a plate and then the hamburger garnished with sautéed mushroom slices and red onion with a pile of country fried potatoes beside it. We dipped the meat liberally in catsup.






The dinner was delicious and the medium dry smooth red wine with strong tannins went well with the meat and sautéed potatoes, but after about 1 hour the wine turned bitter.  As we watched Discovering
your Roots, I gave the rest of my wine to Suzette and she barely touched it.

Funny how some wines have a very short period of drinkability before they oxidize and turn bitter.

We had awakened at 4:00 by a call to Suzette from the Center.  I went to bed and read at 8:30 and Suzette came to bed soon after and fell asleep immediately.

I awakened at 1:30 and read a chapter of the Underground Railroad and blogged.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment